VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 10:10:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] Installer Not function Correctly on Latest SoHo Release  (Read 5337 times)
wirechief

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 01:58:55 pm »

Thank you for your reply.
It  is probably me that is not describing well enough on how the install went.
Right now I am replying from my Desktop with my nice new Vector Linux vector.linux.net 2.6.20.3 #1 SMP
My lappy runs the livecd well, unfortunately it does not have the pretty yosemite background like this one has and
when i went through the install option it seemed to complete but lilo never appeared.
The next attempt with the latest SOHO installed with lilo and it booted but unfortunately during the creation of
the xorg.conf it was unable to resolve my ATI 9200 mobil graphics adapter, it created three config files in /etc/X11
xorg.conf, vesa.xxx.conf and ati.xxx.conf (xxx i don't remember the exact file name) the xorg.conf only had three lines
and of course would not work, the vesa.xxx.conf failed with the error message of not being able to find the pcidata module.
The ati.xxx.conf brought me to a desktop of some kind but it was a dark grey and virtually colorless and a terminal window, it
was not able to work correctly.
Now I remember that the "free" linux ATI driver from my experience with other distros on that lappy works but there are no
non-free ATI drivers that currently will work on that ATI 9200 , perhaps in the future.  I have had good luck with "vesa" drivers
but this install apparently was unable to resolve the missing pcidata module.
I did try to use the "livecd"'s xorg.conf file but that too resulted in that missing module.
After reading through some threads there is a re-configure X program. ? is the command "vxconf " ?

my goal now if I am to continue would be to find the coding necessary to boot the install on hda3 from the grub I am using, so
far i have only had marginal success. Embarrassed
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 02:05:05 pm »

try this in your grub
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3  ro vga=normal
wirechief

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 04:22:09 pm »

I tried your recommendation. It almost worked!
however, I get this:

"atkbd.c:spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0." it continues until I power off the computer. ctrl alt delete fails to stop it also ctrl c has no effect.
It goes through a boot process like it located the kernel and was going to work. (so close but yet so far)
I did a google on this error and a recommend was to add I8042.panicblink=0 in the grub line. I will try that too.
wirechief

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 04:56:56 pm »

Well more grief, it stopped the continuous lines of complainng but then it stopped
VFS: cannot open root device "hda3/" or unknown block (0,0)
Please append a correct "root" boot option
kernel panic - not syncing

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 05:13:16 pm »

shouldnt it say or unknown block (0,2)  ??
wirechief

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 07:26:41 am »

This morning I reviewed our messages, I screwed up! in the replacement coding i had  hda3/   not hda3
I corrected that code and it booted to a penquin and login, is that init 3 ?  I thought surely the xorg.conf is
mucked up, i checked it and it appeared normal so i did a startx and viola! I am at a desktop!
issue resovled with your coding suggestion.
now i will have to try and resolve my mouse issue, and  my network issue will post on another thread for it.
Thank you for your help and patience. Vector looks nice on lappy.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: