VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 03:56:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] Installer Not function Correctly on Latest SoHo Release  (Read 5333 times)
Starmage187

« on: June 02, 2007, 09:11:33 pm »

Hello. I recently downloaded the latest SoHo LiveDVD release of Vector. I'm pretty pleased with it as a livedvd, and I'd like to install it. However, I can't seem to get the installer to work correctly. It will bring up the Gparted window, and that part works more or less. Then it brings us the next window, and I click through those dialog boxes. Then the window closes and nothing else happens. No copying files, no bootloader install, nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:38:11 am by lagagnon » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 09:30:05 pm »

Starmage187,
 I have tried the installer here from the DVD and it works well. We have had reports of it not working for others as well and we are looking into what is causing it to work for some and not others.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Starmage187

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 09:41:19 am »

Stupid question, but is the installer on the install disc working most of the time?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:15:36 am »

Stupid question, but is the installer on the install disc working most of the time?
If you really want to install VL we suggest you install our non-Live versions: either Standard (for older computers) or SOHO (for modern computers). The links to download these are on the website.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Starmage187

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 04:17:13 pm »

That was my question: Do the installers on the actual, non-live cds function correctly, or does the problem of the installer being hit or miss extend to those versions as well?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 04:44:15 pm »

I think the live installer still experimental, the non-live installer works nice and I saw very few problems reports on this forum about it since I am hanging here. I installed the non-live versions a few times with no problems at all. You shouldnt have any problems with it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 07:01:17 pm »

Do the installers on the actual, non-live cds function correctly, or does the problem of the installer being hit or miss extend to those versions as well?

I doubt very much we would ever have released final versions of VL 5.8 without a correctly functioning installer!  Smiley

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
wirechief

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 04:52:53 pm »

I tried the latest SOHO release from distrowatch,, i installed it on a test HD and it worked fine, I also downloaded
the livecd version and I was really pleased with it but now the heart break.  I wanted to install SOHO on my lappy
so I used the version that I had tested on my test HD and during the install the partitioner got confused, I selected to install on hda4 but something went wrong it came back with different labels for the swap then what I thought was swap and then when it finished i had hda1 through hda5 but all my other partitions were gone, nothing, I tried fdisk -l  they failed to show, i tried gparted from another distro on its livecd and it did not see the missing partitions.
I know I am having a issue with a jumping cursor and a mouse that goes nuts, perhaps it did something I didn't realize but I ended up in a mess, I could not restore the mbr either through the grub by doing find /boot/grub/stage1 which resulted in (hd1,3)  and hd1,2)  I was unable to reach a workable distro. so I  have re-done my partitioning and will try the victorlinux on my desktop and not my lappy until i feel comfortable workin
with this distro, I really think its great and is certainly fast. I have not given up, I have things restored from my rdiff-backups so Im good to go, just wanted to report my results..  Undecided
wirechief

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 05:04:01 pm »

I should include here some hardware information on my laptop that failed to work correctly with the installer.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 83)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M9+ 5C61 [Radeon Mobility 9200 (AGP)] (rev 01)
02:05.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c475 (rev b8)
02:05.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C551 IEEE 1394 Controller
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (rev 83)
02:0b.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:22:57 pm »

Sorry to hear of your partitioning troubles. Did you use cfdisk via the VL Installer to do the partitioning? If so, tell us exactly what you did and maybe we can help. You might want to read this also: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#partitioning

To keep things simple for yourself this is what I recommend: a root ("/") partition of at least 4-6GB, a home partition as large as you think you need for all the data you will or will not have and a swap partition of about 512MB. Make the root partition bootable and don't worry about the boot loader as that happens later in the installer - it is easiest to install the boot loader to the MBR as you obviously are aware of.

I load VL on many older machines for some of my clients and have done it about 200 times now, without any problems - the only time I have had problems is when there is a hardware fault such as bad RAM or a faulty hard drive. Let us know how it goes and we can walk you through it if need be...

wirechief

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 10:47:08 am »

I am back, I plan on giving it another go. my intent this time is to use hda3 as root, hda4 as home and hda6 as swap
I have already partitioned those and actually have one working distro on hda4, I plan on just letting the instaler write
over that partition. I am having some difficulty's with my synaptic mouse pad the mouse jumps around on me.
I am able to disable it with synclient touchpadOff=1, I hope that will work in Vector but if not is there another way of
doing it? anyways here we go. will report back on my success. Wink
wirechief

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 02:13:27 pm »

Well have been trying all afternoon, no success, i t installed but t he xorg.conf was not able to get configured, it left
only three lines in xorg.conf, I tried using the vesa backup file but it complained about missing pcidata, I tried the ati backup and it gave me a strange desktop with the terminal session in it.
I am trying now to use the xorg.conf from the livecd session, it seems to work with that but it also complains about pcidata, I dig a cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep pcidata and it shows a /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.so but apparently in the install it is not being used or is corrupt, I am now copying the livecd libpcidata.so over to the install partitions location and see if that helps. the windows works and I think i can get my debian install working once I edit
its fstab. I seem to be hanging on a fence at this point.
wirechief

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 03:13:36 pm »

No success yet. the kernel is 2.6.20.3
the error message is: failed to oad module "pcidata" module does not exist, 0)
What started out as a installation problem seems to have completely changed on this second attempt, I am not getting anywhere with this, will try the dvd issue and see it makes a difference.
I used the grub to install on this last attempt.
wirechief

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 04:42:14 pm »

Using the DVD of Vector Linux vector.linux.net 2.6.20.3 #1 SMP PREEMPT I was finally able to install, it is using the lilo boot loader.
I will have to learn how to configure it so I can pickup my other distro on hda5,  will check back later.
I had to reinstall the grub boot loader for the other distro, I couldnt figure how to use lilo to add it.
but now I am unable to load VictorLinux, I tried adding this code to my grub
root (hd0,0
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3  ro vga=normal
I thought it was going to work, it started to boot it but then in the middle of the process it kep saying something about another process was trying to access the files, not sure what that was all about.
I have installed the victorlinux  on my desktop and the thing i noticed was that the nvidia graphics card had no problem being detected and and a driver installed, I suspect now that the reason the laptop xorg.conf
was not getting finished or able to work with pcidata module not being made was because of the ATI graphics card ati 9200 mobil on the lappy. looks like I can forget this distro on the laptop for now unless
I can get some instructions that would get it going in the right direction.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:11:09 pm by wirechief » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 08:40:20 am »

Sorry wirechef, I am not understanding the problem very well, must be my crappy english  Embarrassed. I have not experience with grub, but if you want to use lilo, you can install it with VASM and it will pick all your systems automatically. You need to run Vasm as superuser.

If I understand correctly, your xorg.conf is not working. You can try the vesa driver instead the ati, and then when you have a nice desktop working Wink install the proper drivers from the ati website.
Let us know how its going.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: