VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 03:00:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gslapt  (Read 5460 times)
dwainehead

« on: June 03, 2007, 05:56:14 am »

Is there any work being done on this?

Currently I think it does a fine job installing, but the layout and display are rather confusing to me.  Let me explain.

1. When you open and update your presented with a list of apps/packages, but no matter how you sort there is no possibility of true alphabetical order, packages/apps repeat as you scroll through the list, confusing at
best.

2. No tree view, it would be really nice to look at the packages/apps by category/sub-category in treeview, this would clean up the display quite a bit imo.

3. Packages/apps that are older then installed show up in the list repeatedly, this is confusing at best, shouldn't they show up as revision history under the latest installed version? yes sometimes we want to go backward, so the otpion to downgrade should be included as well.

4. Search functions doesn't come up with anything specific, try a search for "pac" you should get maybe 2 or 3 results, but instead you get 50 -75 that have nothing to do with the search phrase.

5. Under View -> Available, should this only show packages/apps that are available for install, not those that are currently installed?

This is all food for thought as the development moves forward, not complaints as Gslapt does work as it is, anyway gotta run, just got a call to go check my mom might have just had a stroke, damn I hope she's allright..
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:47:01 am »

Gslapt is maintained by jaos, this is his website: http://software.jaos.org/

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 12:31:50 pm »

...just got a call to go check my mom might have just had a stroke, damn I hope she's allright..
I hope so too...my prayers are that she will be well and peace for your family.
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 01:46:26 pm »

2. No tree view, it would be really nice to look at the packages/apps by category/sub-category in treeview, this would clean up the display quite a bit imo.

3. Packages/apps that are older then installed show up in the list repeatedly, this is confusing at best, shouldn't they show up as revision history under the latest installed version? yes sometimes we want to go backward, so the otpion to downgrade should be included as well.

I'm a big supporter of these two ideas, and the fact that Gslapt is pretty great as is.

Hope your mom is well.

LLL

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
dwainehead

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 05:23:47 pm »

Thanks I'll check that site out, and so far Mom looks fine thanks for the thought's as well, only time and more tests will give us the answers for sure.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 05:46:30 pm »

1. When you open and update your presented with a list of apps/packages, but no matter how you sort there is no possibility of true alphabetical order, packages/apps repeat as you scroll through the list, confusing at best.

You can get an alphabetical list if you click on the Name column heading in the row with Status-Name-Version-Location-Description.

If you check on the Status column after you do Update and then Mark All Upgrades, the upgraded packages will all appear one after another, as will the installed packages and the packages that are not installed. You may have to click on Status more than once.

I agree. This would be a very nice enhancement of gslapt.

Sorting alphabetically pretty much takes care of this, as you can see quite easily what you have installed and whether it's the latest version.

I hope your mother is okay. I've sent positive thoughts her way.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 06:21:32 pm »

1. When you open and update your presented with a list of apps/packages, but no matter how you sort there is no possibility of true alphabetical order, packages/apps repeat as you scroll through the list, confusing at best.

You can get an alphabetical list if you click on the Name column heading in the row with Status-Name-Version-Location-Description.

If you check on the Status column after you do Update and then Mark All Upgrades, the upgraded packages will all appear one after another, as will the installed packages and the packages that are not installed. You may have to click on Status more than once.

I think by "true alphabetical order" dwainehead means a case insensitive alphabetical ordering.  I've always found it interesting that the ordering is case sensitive, but since I've become used to it it doesn't bother me too much but case insensitive would be preferable.  Probably just a little tweak in the gslapt code would fix this.
dwainehead

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 08:33:48 pm »

mmm not quite, here's a screen cap of my Gslapt sorted by name:

Now in my way of thinking the letter X should be at the bottom of the list, this is clearly very near the top of the package list.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 08:53:42 pm »

UNIX and it's derivatives are, by definition, case sensitive. All the upper case letters come before the lower case ones. That said, konqueror offers a choice in the configuration, might be a good idea for gslapt.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
jaos

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 08:55:23 pm »

1. When you open and update your presented with a list of apps/packages, but no matter how you sort there is no possibility of true alphabetical order, packages/apps repeat as you scroll through the list, confusing at
best.

The listview uses the default sorting of the GTK widget.  This sorting is case sensitive.

Unfortunately every distro does things differently and there is no easy way to come up with a category list.  I'm not sure just using a subdirectory would be informative enough in the general case (for example, slackware/l would not mean much to a user).

See below in regard to Available, Installed.

4. Search functions doesn't come up with anything specific, try a search for "pac" you should get maybe 2 or 3 results, but instead you get 50 -75 that have nothing to do with the search phrase.

"pac" is very general.  You really want to limit your search using the beginning and end of string tokens (^ and $ respectively).  Search checks against package names, versions, locations, and descriptions.  There is a quick search, invoked by using hitting '/', that is more precise.

5. Under View -> Available, should this only show packages/apps that are available for install, not those that are currently installed?

Available lists the packages (installed or not) that are provided by the currently enabled package sources.  Installed, intuitively, only shows those packages that are installed on the system.

HTH,
jason
Toe

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 12:28:43 am »

Unfortunately every distro does things differently and there is no easy way to come up with a category list.  I'm not sure just using a subdirectory would be informative enough in the general case (for example, slackware/l would not mean much to a user).
Although it certainly wouldn't be a magic bullet, could category info be extracted from .desktop files contained in packages?
Toe

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 11:20:30 pm »

And now that I think about it a bit more, that could be a nice plus for usability as well.  If you found it and installed it by browsing in category XYZ in Gslapt, you know that you will find it in category XYZ on your system menu afterward. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: