VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 02:53:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: requiredbuilder and VL-6  (Read 3358 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« on: June 04, 2007, 07:50:27 am »

Think it's possible to have requiredbuilder bundled with the "dev" package during a clean install?

Whenever I do a clean install for building, I often forget to install requiredbuilder and packages get built without the slack-required file.

Just a thought  Grin
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:07:14 am »

Actually, there is a much faster and better (IMO) way to take care of that. requiredbuilder takes kind of long to determine deps and asks too many questions..

Method 1: Use checkinstall to after make to create the package
Method 2: In case metho1 fails or in case you're building an odd application or if you just chose to do things this way, here is how you do it
Code:
makeslapt --tlz/--tgz <packagename-Version_arch_build.tlz/tgz>

Both ways will get you the slack-required built into the package

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 02:26:45 pm »

I try not to use checkinstall as it takes a few more steps to insert or rearrange files into the package.

The makeslapt way is something I've ment to check out.  Thanks for the tip!
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 05:32:56 pm »

I actually prefer requiredbuilder, because it is better and more thorough at generating dependencies than the makeslapt script is.  Yes, requiredbuilder takes a bit more time to do the job. However, I've found it to be very reliable at not generating the "openoffice" false positive dependency that makeslapt has too often yielded for me. Also, requiredbuilder is a lot better for version control than makeslapt is. The latest requiredbuilder can also write a copy of the slack-required file to the directory from which it was called, along with writing it to the install directory in the package tree.

FWIW and YMMV,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: