VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: requiredbuilder and VL-6  (Read 3522 times)

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
requiredbuilder and VL-6
« on: June 04, 2007, 08:50:27 am »

Think it's possible to have requiredbuilder bundled with the "dev" package during a clean install?

Whenever I do a clean install for building, I often forget to install requiredbuilder and packages get built without the slack-required file.

Just a thought  ;D

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: requiredbuilder and VL-6
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:07:14 am »

Actually, there is a much faster and better (IMO) way to take care of that. requiredbuilder takes kind of long to determine deps and asks too many questions..

Method 1: Use checkinstall to after make to create the package
Method 2: In case metho1 fails or in case you're building an odd application or if you just chose to do things this way, here is how you do it
Code: [Select]
makeslapt --tlz/--tgz <packagename-Version_arch_build.tlz/tgz>
Both ways will get you the slack-required built into the package

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 03:26:45 pm »

I try not to use checkinstall as it takes a few more steps to insert or rearrange files into the package.

The makeslapt way is something I've ment to check out.  Thanks for the tip!

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 06:32:56 pm »

I actually prefer requiredbuilder, because it is better and more thorough at generating dependencies than the makeslapt script is.  Yes, requiredbuilder takes a bit more time to do the job. However, I've found it to be very reliable at not generating the "openoffice" false positive dependency that makeslapt has too often yielded for me. Also, requiredbuilder is a lot better for version control than makeslapt is. The latest requiredbuilder can also write a copy of the slack-required file to the directory from which it was called, along with writing it to the install directory in the package tree.

FWIW and YMMV,
John
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.