VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 12:40:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do i set up a remote desktop?  (Read 2801 times)
jklslvch

« on: June 04, 2007, 08:33:40 am »

hey i installed vector linux SOHO on a friends comp and sometimes he needs certain packages or programs installed so instead of going over there and helping him out how would i access his computer from mine? I have SOHO installed too is there a program already included that will help me do this and a little basic setup help would be nice too.

And is there any good remote console like a trojan or something because my computer isnt all that new and the internet is pretty slow so maybe the graphical remote desktop thing might be really choppy.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:43:20 am »

You can set up the ssh server in VL (sshd) and access it with the ssh client (ssh). If you want to try graphical, KDE has a built in remote desktop server and client, look for it on the menu. You might need to set up the server part in the KDE Control Panel, don't remember any more, used this a long time ago. I mostly use ssh now and you can set up sshd to allow user/password login, or by private/public keys. Just google for "linux sshd howto" (without the quotes) and you'll some good guides.

EDIT: forgot to add that you can have X session forwarding over ssh too.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:35:54 am »

I've found VNC to be faster than X11 over ssh though.. Vnc is easy to setup too..

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:52:15 am »

I've found VNC to be faster than X11 over ssh though.. Vnc is easy to setup too..

Just curious, is that "VNC over ssh" vs "X11 over ssh", or "unencrypted VNC" vs "X11 over ssh"?  I've often wondered if X11 over ssh would be quicker than VNC over ssh since it's passing a single window rather than an entire desktop, AND only has to repaint the window rather than the entire desktop.  I'm just curious because I've never attempted gui remote control over ssh - I'm usually plain ssh or plain/unencrypted vnc.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:02:31 am »

Well, you have to consider that VNC was (well-)designed specifically for its purpose.

X is old, tends to generate a lot of traffic and is, indeed, kind of inefficient.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:04:58 am »

I use unencrypted vnc, I tried X11 over ssh, which is really slow...

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 10:11:56 am »

I guess I'll stick with vnc for gui purposes and ssh for cli purposes.  Thanks for the insight.
Cheers!!
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 01:01:13 pm »

I prefer ssh without X, fast on any connection if both hosts are linux.

When using VNC and such with slow connections then working can
take sometime.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: