VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 09:34:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I need your help here, kiddies  (Read 7163 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« on: June 04, 2007, 09:38:24 am »

I am looking to start writing Newsforge articles to help pay for college expenses. It seems like it might be a good (and kind of fun!) way to draw at least some of the income for tuition, and let's face it, I don't have a really lavish lifestyle beyond that. Anyway, I'd like to hear it from the community: what kinds of applications and software tips do the nascent 'desktop Linux user' base want to read about? The apps I feel most enthusiastic over are all obscure geeky tools like Objective C compilers and shells, so I think I had better hear it from a more diverse audience.

Let me know, O readers...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:05:43 am »

Judging by the number of questions on the subject, anything that will help people getting wi-fi working whould be a good one.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:07:49 am »

I don't have a wireless card...  Embarrassed

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:09:17 am »

IMO, I would say that it would be interesting to read about new WM's/DE's. And also terminals and smaller type of multimedia apps that get the job done. Some CLI-based apps would be nice to know more about.
Nice thread, hanu! Interesting to follow this further how it turns out.

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:12:47 am »

I think commandline tips and media apps.

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:24:18 am »

>> I'd like to hear it from the community: what kinds of applications and software tips do the nascent 'desktop Linux user' base want to read about? >>

Typical desktop users (not of the geeky persuasion) use browsers, word processors, spreadsheets, checkbook managers, e-mail clients, IM applications, media players, photo organizers, photo editors, CD/DVD burning software, games. We like to learn easier ways to do things, file manager tips, how to set up and deal with home networks both wired and wireless, simple but handy terminal commands like df -h. More advanced Linux users might like to know about the different desktops available such as descriptions and objective comparisons of KDE, Gnome, XFce, IceWM, and others. I would be lost without Tuxcards. People want to know about Wine and Crossover Office and other ways to run Windows programs they can't, or don't want to, do without.

Lots of people want to make slide shows of photos they can burn to a CD or DVD and they have videos or VCR recordings they want to transfer to DVD. They want to rip CDs and turn their music files into formats that their MP3 players can play.

That's off the top of my head. Take a look at http://tuxmagazine.com/ and see the kinds of things the late TUX Magazine covered. I always thought TUX was too KDE-centered, was a little too allergic to sensible use of the command line, and didn't go into enough depth in its articles. However, TUX covered things "regular users" are interested in. There is a download page at https://secure.ssc.com/allsubs/tux.php?action=show-downloads but I don't know if a non-subscriber can download all the issues or just one as a sample. Since the magazine is now extinct and people can no longer subscribe, I'd hope people can download as many issues as they want.

Let us know when we can read your articles on Newsforge. I hope you make lots of money!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 10:29:49 am »

@DrGrov

Check this site:

http://xwinman.org/index.php
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 10:40:03 am »

I am looking to start writing Newsforge articles to help pay for college expenses. It seems like it might be a good (and kind of fun!) way to draw at least some of the income for tuition, and let's face it, I don't have a really lavish lifestyle beyond that. Anyway, I'd like to hear it from the community: what kinds of applications and software tips do the nascent 'desktop Linux user' base want to read about? The apps I feel most enthusiastic over are all obscure geeky tools like Objective C compilers and shells, so I think I had better hear it from a more diverse audience.

Let me know, O readers...

How about a step-by-step "How-To" regarding converting/installing/using iTunes and iPods in an open source environment?

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 10:56:28 am »

Howto install an internal modem. A discussion of the best brands of modem for a Linux installation. Resources for drivers.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 11:08:26 am »

Best to avoid hardware topics, such as iPods.

If you name it, I probably won't have it.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 11:39:01 am »

Thunar and EDE both seem pretty viable.

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 12:34:45 pm »

i'd like to see interesting articles with a sense of humor that will make windows users envious of linux users...Focus on those little sweet tips,advantage and power that one gets from using linux,combine with really nice looking gui apps that do something that a shareware piece of crap will hardly try to achieve,simple things that the windows users live without,etc... We've had compiz and beryl have a really big impact over the mainstream users.It really spread the word for linux and made it popular...thats why distrowatch talked about it a bit too much- things that are on the bleeding edge are interesting.
Giving a sesnse for the future,whats to come and why its so exciting and why you should stay around and keep a track for news of it...
Be free to use a sense of humor or satire,to spice it abit, but don't go too far...idk,thats what i'd do.  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:36:29 pm by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 12:59:05 pm »

At Newsforge, the articles tend to be pretty straightforward. IIRC, comparisons aimed at causing envy are verboten. I hate to knock down your suggestion outright, but they aren't my rules.  Cry

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 01:41:22 pm »

@ GrannyGeek

There is an article on TuxCards and KnowIt at Newsforge. The author seems to favor KnowIt...

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/01/2026225&tid=130

I haven't used either of them, personally, so I can't say.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 05:09:13 pm »

i'd like to see interesting articles with a sense of humor that will make windows users envious of linux users

I don't think that's a good idea. It just tends to annoy Windows users who are thinking about getting into Linux. Better to be positive about Linux than negative about Windows. I love Linux and it's my main operating system, but in all honesty, I don't see anything in Linux that would make me as a Windows user *envious* of Linux users. My Windows programs are farther along in development and have more features than my Linux programs covering the same areas.

We've had compiz and beryl have a really big impact over the mainstream users.It really spread the word for linux and made it popular

Perhaps in the circles you travel in. Certainly not in the ones I travel in. We aren't into eye-candy stuff. I wasn't impressed when I tried out Beryl with the VL Beryl Live CD.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: