VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 01:12:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need your help here, kiddies  (Read 6794 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 05:13:38 pm »

There is an article on TuxCards and KnowIt at Newsforge. The author seems to favor KnowIt...

Thanks for the URL. One quote: "The main difference between them is that KnowIt requires KDE. Tuxcards does not." That pretty much says it all for me. I don't like to be forced into KDE.

I agreed with most of what the article cited as strengths and weaknesses of Tuxcards.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 06:10:23 pm »

Hanu,

I think this is a great idea - something I've thought about doing myself.

MY SUGGESTIONS:

- You identified one (and by nature, others) when you asked for GIMP tips...perhaps an article on 'starting out with GIMP' and take us through some step by step on doing things with GIMP (or similarly complicated tools: Inkskape, Xara, etc.). The fact that you would be learning yourself provides you a great perspective from which to help/write.

- CLI/script tricks to automate tasks would be great/of interest too.

Look forward to reading!

LLL

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 10:15:52 am »

- CLI/script tricks to automate tasks would be great/of interest too.

I agree with 3L. You will be very comfortable on this topic and I think is really interesting to know how a simple text line can do a lot. How to automate things with bash is a nice topic. You should ask what kind of readers you will write to... system administrators? linux newbies? general user?, identify their problems and suggest a solution.
Good Luck!!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 03:13:31 am »

My idea for the Thunar article was approved. I'll let you know how it blows over.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 01:43:45 am »

How about this as the start ......

"You may read Advanced Bash Scripting Guide, but for real examples,
go and RTFS the Vector Linux's VASM. Here are some of fabulous examples ..."

Grin Grin Grin
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: