VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Autostart Wireless network?  (Read 4572 times)

Alf

Autostart Wireless network?
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:04:36 pm »

My long saga of getting Vector to work on my fossil of a laptop is finally at a happy ending!  5.8 Standard is up and rocking so far.  I am LOVING it - much better than Win98, which is all it could run previously with any speed.  I just have one minor annoyance... I set up the wireless and it works FANTASTIC!  However, when I reboot I have to go in to the inet settings and start the inet I have associated with my NIC (ath0) before I can connect to anything.  Is there any way to automate this?

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: Autostart Wireless network?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 05:29:27 pm »

There sure is, add the lines that you use to start
networking to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Bigpaws

Alf

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 07:56:39 pm »

Thanks!  I'm doing it from the GUI version of VASM though - going into the inet and starting INET3 which is set up for ath0.  Could you lay the text command for that file on me?  Or is there a way to generate it from the GUI and update the file?  I didn't see an autostart option on the regular network - only on the wireless.

bigpaws

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 07:47:22 pm »

Open a console and as root type "mcedit /etc/rc.d/rc.local" scroll down to
the botttom of the page and add "ifconfig ath0 up" do not use quotes.

Bigpaws

elifarley

• org.ecc - Java Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 03:45:26 am »

There sure is, add the lines that you use to start
networking to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Bigpaws

This is what I appended to my rc.local file:
Code: [Select]
/etc/rc.d/rc.wireless start

(But I still don't know why this init script (rc.wireless)   must be manually run, since other init scripts just have to be 'chmoded u+x' in order to be run. Anyone knows why ?)

In order for the rc.wireless start command to succeed, you must add your interface (ath0) to the /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf file:
The line
INTERFACES="eth0"
should become
INTERFACES="ath0 eth0"
Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Final   May-15-2007

Alf

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 01:28:54 pm »

Thanks for the addendum, elifarley!  Between the two responses, it's autostarting!  Now I only need to worry about the config when I hit a different access point - which should be next to never.  WOO HOO!

easuter

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 05:21:28 am »

Thanks for the addendum, elifarley!  Between the two responses, it's autostarting!  Now I only need to worry about the config when I hit a different access point - which should be next to never.  WOO HOO!

Glad to see you have it working!

I for example don't have wireless autstart on my laptop since I go to different access points sometimes (school, home, etc...) so I have all the wireless profiles for each access point stored in Wifi-Radar. After VL has loaded connecting to the right AP is just a few clicks away. :)