VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:33:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Autostart Wireless network?  (Read 4286 times)
Alf

« on: June 04, 2007, 12:04:36 pm »

My long saga of getting Vector to work on my fossil of a laptop is finally at a happy ending!  5.8 Standard is up and rocking so far.  I am LOVING it - much better than Win98, which is all it could run previously with any speed.  I just have one minor annoyance... I set up the wireless and it works FANTASTIC!  However, when I reboot I have to go in to the inet settings and start the inet I have associated with my NIC (ath0) before I can connect to anything.  Is there any way to automate this?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:29:27 pm »

There sure is, add the lines that you use to start
networking to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Bigpaws
Alf

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 06:56:39 pm »

Thanks!  I'm doing it from the GUI version of VASM though - going into the inet and starting INET3 which is set up for ath0.  Could you lay the text command for that file on me?  Or is there a way to generate it from the GUI and update the file?  I didn't see an autostart option on the regular network - only on the wireless.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:47:22 pm »

Open a console and as root type "mcedit /etc/rc.d/rc.local" scroll down to
the botttom of the page and add "ifconfig ath0 up" do not use quotes.

Bigpaws
elifarley

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 02:45:26 am »

There sure is, add the lines that you use to start
networking to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Bigpaws

This is what I appended to my rc.local file:
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.wireless start

(But I still don't know why this init script (rc.wireless)   must be manually run, since other init scripts just have to be 'chmoded u+x' in order to be run. Anyone knows why ?)

In order for the rc.wireless start command to succeed, you must add your interface (ath0) to the /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf file:
The line
Code:
INTERFACES="eth0"
should become
Code:
INTERFACES="ath0 eth0"

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Final   May-15-2007
Alf

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:28:54 pm »

Thanks for the addendum, elifarley!  Between the two responses, it's autostarting!  Now I only need to worry about the config when I hit a different access point - which should be next to never.  WOO HOO!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 04:21:28 am »

Thanks for the addendum, elifarley!  Between the two responses, it's autostarting!  Now I only need to worry about the config when I hit a different access point - which should be next to never.  WOO HOO!

Glad to see you have it working!

I for example don't have wireless autstart on my laptop since I go to different access points sometimes (school, home, etc...) so I have all the wireless profiles for each access point stored in Wifi-Radar. After VL has loaded connecting to the right AP is just a few clicks away. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: