VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 04:45:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do??? Need everyones input  (Read 12693 times)
metvas
Vectorite

« on: June 04, 2007, 08:23:06 pm »

Hello All:
Well, busy as usual today. I approached a community board (real people board), hear in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. Here in Winnipeg we are known to be frugal or better yet just plain cheap. As a matter of fact we are so cheap we use our entire thermometer. Temperatures can go as high as +40’s Celsius with humidex added during summer and during winter to –40 Celsius in. Better have your woollies on when it gets that cold. Thankful for a high efficiency furnace and air conditioning. So money is hard to come by as donations to a project.
Enough of that, so anyway this board funds local community efforts worthy of mention and VL is worthy. I have always wanted a laptop with Windoze maybe Xpee or abouts and Vector Linux installed on a laptop so I could bring it with me when explaining Vector Linux to folks. School boards, Lions Club, Community Service Providers, all not for profit organizations. But could not afford it myself with all my current responsibilities to my family and VL.
I asked them to donate $ 1105.00 CDN or $1005.00 USD. They asked me to explain in layman’s language so I did the very best I could. They then said,” OK” but we want to see all this in action when you make the purchase!!!
I need to get the very best bang for these dollars. I looked at MadTux and came up with this configuration:
Specifications
-----------------------------------------------------------
Base unit                                              $699.00
Case                                                      $22.00
1 GB DDR Ram                                        $62.00
100 GB Hard Drive                                   $22.00
DVD-RW                                                $12.00
Core Duo T5500 1.66 GHz processor        $132.00
Shipping 5 days delivery                          $56.00
Grand total……………………………  .             $1005 US dollars
10% exchange rate to Canadian           $1105.50   
Wireless LAN embedded

I want the lower processor to demonstrate VL’s speed that was chosen on purpose. Most I will talk to will be at 3+ GHz.

Why Duo? Because Windoze Vista personal version will not run on 64 bit architecture, only the business version will for a few hundred $ more, sound familiar !!
So I need your help in deciding how to spend these precious dollars. I will not let this board down on this. I would rather return the donation to them.
If the above looks like the very best deal I will go with that. If you have ANY ideas now would be a REAL good time to let me know. No, Joes computer sales in Timbuk Too !!!  Must be well known or at least well knownby you. The local Lion’s Club will be my first presentation. Manitoba eWaste the second.
Thinking caps on ladies and gents, Help me help VL.
Best regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:46:40 pm »

You mentioned a laptop and the specs are for a Desktop.

Here is a laptop for you, local ad. This is typical type of price for a decent laptop.

http://staples.shoplocal.com/staples/default.aspx?action=detail&storeid=2278438&rapid=0&listingid=-2093198897&offerid=

HTH

Bigpaws
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:30:46 pm »

Wait a bit, let me read Madtux again, sorry.
Darrell

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:38:06 pm »

Check out this link, it is for a Ex-810 Notebook.I did notice that the HD was 5400 rpm will nedd 7200.
http://store.madtux.org/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=298
Thxs
regards
Darrell

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:01:24 pm »

Why Duo? Because Windoze Vista personal version will not run on 64 bit architecture, only the business version will for a few hundred $ more, sound familiar !!

Where did you hear this? It's definitely not correct. You can run any 32-bit version of Windows Vista on a 64-bit processor. A dual-core CPU counts as one processor. That's probably what confused you, or whoever told you that incorrect information. And if you want to have a 64-bit version of Vista, 64-bit versions are available in all versions from Home Basic on up. I wouldn't get 64-bit Vista at this time. It has strict driver requirements and 64-bit drivers are not widely available yet. Also, 64-bit Vista does not support 16-bit software, 32-bit Vista does.

The computer you've described sounds overpriced to me. I don't know what things cost in Canada, but now that the Canadian dollar (loonie?) is almost at parity with the American dollar, I have a hard time believing you can't find the deals similar to what you can find all the time in the US at the big box retailers (Circuit City, BestBuy, Staples, Office Depot, etc.) or online from Dell, Lenovo, and others. I see this in the current BestBuy sale paper for $650 US:
HP AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50, 1024 MB DDR2 memory, 120 GB hard drive, reads and writes dual-layer DVDs and CDs, nVidia GeForce G0 6150 graphics, 15.4" widescreen display, Windows Vista Home Premium.

Staples has an Acer laptop with just about the same specs for the same price.

When you get the laptop, you shrink the Windows partition with a tool that understands Vista (be careful about that) and install VL on the free space. You should have enough for both a VL Standard and a VL SOHO partition.

I want the lower processor to demonstrate VL’s speed that was chosen on purpose. Most I will talk to will be at 3+ GHz.

I would go with a faster processor. VL is very impressive on a high-speed computer--as long as the budget allows this.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 06:36:45 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 11:11:12 pm »

Thanks, GrannyGeek:
Never even looked at a Vista package in the stroes. Never looked at an X Pee for that matter out of protest. When we, (my better half), and I walk in those stores I am always saying," don't even look at that sh---".Think I got that info from a M$ forum, not sure. Would want to stick with X Pee, as vista is too new and do not trust it. Here in Canada I looked a bit at the box stores no deals like that. maybe have to buy direct from a US supplier for the best deal. Thought of Madtux first as they are a partner. As for the lower speed actually want that as they, (the presentees), would have high end laptops for certain. It would be good for VL to match them with a 1.6 GHz. Maybe I am wrong on that was a thought only. I will top up any shortfall if necessary for the best we can get. Anyway the spellcheck had to check every wurd, time for bed.
regards
Darrell

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:28:26 am »

So, exactly how is a brand new box supposed to show VL's amazing speed? Every OS will be fast on a new computer. Isn't a dual 1.6 GHz  1.6 x 2= 3.2 GHz?

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 12:32:35 am »

Those specs look really good.
Whether or not you go for a top-end processor, any new processor bought today gives VL warp-speed  Wink

I'm interested in the embedded wireless card. Some wireless chips can be very troublesome to get working and would be nice to know which one it has to see if it works.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 01:26:04 am »

Isn't a dual 1.6 GHz  1.6 x 2= 3.2 GHz?

The answer is no. Multiple processors work in a threaded
array not in a straight line. So you can not go past 1.6 GHz.

Bigpaws
LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 03:52:21 am »

Assumed you will be making presentations on VL's abilities to serve named groups.

Aside from OS performance/stability, affordability is an obvious sell - but how will you, with your *new* computer, demonstrate the fact that VL will not force them to buy new hardware?

If that's a goal, we should get creative...simply "telling them" may be enough, but demonstration is powerful, as you obviously are aware Wink

Have fun! Well done! Smiley

LLL

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 05:44:30 am »

Perhaps the Dell Ubuntu laptop would be worth investigating. If you opt for the T5300, the DVD/RW, the 7200RPM 100G HD), and additional 512M of RAM the final price is under $900. The fact that the 'puter can run Ubuntu should offer some comfort level about its hardware's Linux compatibility.

If you goal is to impress, getting a 7200RPM HD is important regardless of what model you choose.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 05:46:54 am »

Isn't a dual 1.6 GHz  1.6 x 2= 3.2 GHz?

The answer is no. Multiple processors work in a threaded
array not in a straight line. So you can not go past 1.6 GHz.

Bigpaws
I knew I my logic was flawed (I don't have much knowledge about cpu's), I was just trying to say that
1.6 dualcore turion64 > 1.6 singlecore turion64 > some other processors.

That computer doesn't look like a slow thing, don't judge it just by the amount of MHz. Of course nowadays you can buy more powerful laptops if you have more money, but it doesn't make this one underpowered for normal use or bad value. If you're going to game or do other 3d stuff on that thing the nvidia card might be a bit underpowered, but that isn't the processors fault Smiley. This looks like the computer I might buy today if I where looking for a new laptop and it would be withing my budget, as I want an nvidia card in my laptop. I would go for one with a slightly better nvidia card if available within budget though, as I like gaming.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:57:08 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 09:20:10 am »

Please remember that the folks i will be presenting to will have a minimum of 3GHz it will be Government including School boards, and non-profit organizations. I am assuming here but 1.6 GHz should be ancient to them. They will not have to purchase new computers as their's will be, "newer", than my new one. That is the whole idea to show to non-techies a 1.6 GHz can compete with a 3.2 GHz with Linux installed.  That they will understand. The Windoze partion is to boot into a familiar environment visually, then shut down and boot into Linux in front of them so they can visually understand what I will be trying to convey visually as there tech savvy is likely to be minimal. No sense in talking tech Most will not understand ANYTHING PAST BOOTING INTO.... I may as well be talking Chinese
This is the idea, simplified visual presentation. If you see my intention, and see a flaw in it please point that out. This will be a one time effort and once set up has to be practiced by me over and over until I can do it with eyes closed, yet convey the message accurately, simply and professionally.
Thxs for you input and advice.
regards
Darrell

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 09:27:26 am »

Hi easuter:
Here is the link to the specs.
http://store.madtux.org/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=298
Regards
Darrell

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 10:05:10 am »

I think in a standard install of VL the cpu speed will be not a factor, everything with more than 1.6ghz and 512mb of Ram will work fast as ligth. May be you should focus in that wireless card and the hole chipset compatibility. Just my 0.00002
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:15:28 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: