VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 01:04:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do??? Need everyones input  (Read 12374 times)
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 10:05:01 pm »

OK, I think I understand your reservations and appreciate all the feedback. The intention is to display proprietary vs non-proprietary visually, in a way that almost anyone could understand. If anyone has any ideas of how to accomplish this please lets discuss it further. Always remembering you must accomplish this task with very little tech-talk, that won't mean anything to most I am trying to target. would probably intimidate them there is where you loose their interest, and everything else you are trying to accomplish. Think of the least knowledgeable computer person you ever met and explain this subject to them, that is how it must be presented.
ideas?
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 10:58:24 pm »

The intention is to display proprietary vs non-proprietary visually, in a way that almost anyone could understand.

I think I'd work on the cost angle. Demonstrate that OOo can open (most) MS Office files just fine. If you're going to be sending them files to try out at your demo, create files in OOo, save them in MS Office format, and have them open the files in MS Office on their computers. When they see that the *free* OOo office suite can do everything most people do in MS Office, and in addition can create PDFs and Flash, that can make a major impact. MS Office is very expensive; OOo costs nothing and they can install it on as many computers as they want.

They are now softened up for the Linux pitch.<g> "Notice how nice my desktop looks. See how easy it is to use. And guess what? Those viruses, trojans, worms, and spyware you're always trying to prevent in Windows don't run on Linux. You don't need the latest and greatest hardware to get good performance with VectorLinux. And you can try it out for free and can continue to use it on as many computers as you like--though we hope you'll support VL's continued development by purchasing a Deluxe CD for a modest amount."

Think of the least knowledgeable computer person you ever met and explain this subject to them, that is how it must be presented.

I deal with those people all the time. Smiley
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 07:55:41 am »

...Think of the least knowledgeable computer person you ever met and explain this subject to them, that is how it must be presented.

I have clients who don't even know where to look for the power button on their computer case....it then becomes very difficult to explain how a web browser works!  Wink

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 09:10:09 am »

Yes, therein lay the challenge. that is why i started this thread, and why the laptop would prove to be indispensable in this endeavor.
Visual participation is the only option as far a I am concerned. Not that all will be at this level but if only one is, that person also must be accommodated.
Keep the ideas flowing.
thanks much
regards
Darrell

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 11:35:40 am »

Well, Word can't produce PDF, and PowerPoint can't produce SWF. MS Office is not really a superset of what OO can do.

Free PDF creators are readily available for Windows and using them is simply selecting the PDF creator printer driver. But even if they weren't, OOo's PDF creation ability is also in the Windows version. It's not just a Linux thing, and thus is not an argument for switching to Linux.
--GrannyGeek

Security, the hardware/software upgrade treadmill, and price (gouging) are a few useful considerations though.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 11:50:11 am »

Can I have it when you're done with it?  Grin  Cheesy
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 02:18:33 pm »

masta:
You will be welcome to it. Warning will be awhile before I am finished with it. Must be patient. Real patient....
Regards
Darrell

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 08:52:29 pm »

Security, the hardware/software upgrade treadmill, and price (gouging) are a few useful considerations though.

I'm not saying Linux doesn't have advantages over Windows. My point is that OOo isn't an argument for those Linux advantages.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 08:57:07 pm »

I have clients who don't even know where to look for the power button on their computer case

You're describing GrampaGeek. I'm not kidding.

....it then becomes very difficult to explain how a web browser works!  Wink

GrampaGeek uses a browser, but he doesn't know what a browser is.
--GrannyGeek

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 09:36:08 pm »

What do you mean I don't know what trousers are. I know what they are..Shheeesh. Just kidding. lol
Darrell

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 12:06:21 am »

masta:
You will be welcome to it. Warning will be awhile before I am finished with it. Must be patient. Real patient....
Regards
Darrell

I suddenly picture myself setting on the top of a mountain , out in the middle of nowhere, sporting the look of a 3 meter long snowy white beard, and holding myself upright with a hand made cane carved from wood......    Cheesy
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 05:00:13 am »

What is the intended usage for your audience? Are they considering Linux for personal use, a small business office, medium-sized school, large factory, volunteer organization...?

In general, if your clients are interested in using their computers in a multi-user environment, stress how Linux has been designed from the very beginning for that task. Emphasize how a user is limited to only screwing up his own data -- how he is prevented from destroying anyone else's and how he can't "take down" the system itself.

In a similar vein, provide some anecdotes about companies and organizations whose employees (or staff) have installed unlicensed software and this has resulted in audits, threats of litigation, and oftentimes the "settlement" that they upgrade their entire operation to Microsoft's (or "Company X's") latest software (the case of Ernie Ball is a fine example; and might be worth providing printouts of that interview to your audience). This topic might be a little ham-fisted, depending upon your audience, so you might wish to put things a little more delicately than I have here.

If your clients are involved in "production" at all, point out the multiple providers of Linux and remind them how undesirable it is to have their company's livelihood dependent on a sole-source supply (I wrote a longer description of this on the old VL forums a while back).

Depending on the target market, I would promote the networking potential of Linux. Enable your home computer to permit remote X logins from the Internet (with appropriate security) and during your presentation, open a display logged into your home machine and demonstrate how you can switch between the two using CTL+ALT+Fn. Be sure to emphasize how secure the implementation is:  accounts have to be authorized, all data transceiving is encrypted, and even limit the login to a single port.

Along the same lines, give one (or more) of your audience members a LIVE bootdisk configured to be a thin-client and let them log into your "display model" and demonstrate how they might turn some of their "obsolete" Pentiums into graphics terminals at minimal cost.

Above all, you need to cater your presentation to your audience; much of what I suggested might not apply to your situation and could even serve to put off your audience. You will also wish to indicate that some of the things I suggested would require expert assistance to set up.

EDIT: You might also consider installing Qemu or VirtualBox on your machine and installing WinXP as a virtual machine. It might be impressive to Windows user to see their entire system being run as an application under Linux.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 07:20:48 am by saulgoode » Logged

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 05:19:25 am »

If you're going to be working with government entities, you're going up against one of the largest behomouths that you could ever hope to convince. Some things to keep in mind:

1. Most government agencies can't just get things down at the local market. They have a strict set of rules they must abide by when purchasing anything. If it's not in their purchasing catalog, most likely, they're not going to get it because of the hoops they have to jump through in order to justify the purchase.

2. Government agencies save everything. This means you are going to be working with not only Word documents, but documents created with other word processor programs as well. Remember Wordstar and WordPerfect?

3. You will be given the most unrealistic and unfair tests to pass in order to get through the bean counters.

4. Not only do you have to convince the users, management, AND those that hold the purse strings, you also need to remember the additional costs required to train the tech support staff to support a new OS. And if the Canadian government is anything like the US government, that's going to be a difficult hurdle to get over. Most agencies want to standardize. This reduces overall costs not only in purchasing, but also support. Cookie cutter solutions is the thing to keep in mind here.  When I worked support, everyone got the same exact box, same exact setup (we imaged new machines as soon as they came in). This made it much easier to support 10,000 users.

Take a lot of aspirin with you to these presentations. You're gonna need it!  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2007, 06:47:02 am »

Exelent post Saulgoode! I think you nail it. Just want to add this: If your target is volunteer organizations, could be a nice idea to talk a little about the open source philosophy.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2007, 07:15:40 am »

Take a lot of aspirin with you to these presentations. You're gonna need it!  Grin

Just be careful with that aspirin. It seems innocuous, but a sufficiently high dose can cause liver toxicity.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: