VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 06:04:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A Little Suggestion For The Board  (Read 9509 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: June 05, 2007, 08:51:01 am »

Hi,

I was searching for something on flash drives and it kind of annoys me that people give them so many different names - some of those names are actually trademarks - such as pendrives and thumbdrives, because searching takes more time, and many people won't know the alternative names. So, if you search for one, you won't find the others. Wouldn't it be effective to flag posts with keywords? So, if i post something about pendrives it could be flagged with "thumbdrive" and "flash drive", and thus cut down on unnecessary posting? Or, instead of flagging every post, links between those keywords could be stored on the forum permanently. Maybe misspellings could be included. . . Of course i'm not speaking only about flash drive searches but all kinds of technical issues.

Also, i noticed that the titles of posts that i have done at the Puppy board are usually rewritten by the moderators to make the board easier to browse. I don't use titles like "I have a problem with my computer", though, which should definitely be rewritten.

Chao.

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:58:31 am »

We could edit the word filter for the forum so that when "pendrive" or "thumbdrive" is used in a post, the forum software will substitute "flash drive." However, given that so many people use "pen drive" or "thumb drive" instead of or in addition to "flash drive," I don't know whether this is such a good idea. However, I'm open to feedback from others on this.

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 05:17:21 pm »

The idea is that _all_ of the terms could show _all_ of the results. So if i search by "thumbdrive" it will also show "pendrive" _and_ "jumpdrive" _and_ "keydrive" _and_ "flash drive", and if i search by "keydrive" i will get all of those results too. No big deal though. . . just an idea.

By the way, if you search for pendrive, thumbdrive, keydrive, jumpdrive, etc, in wikipedia they all redirect to USB Flash Drive.

Chao.

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:36:58 pm »

Google doesn't even do that!  Wink

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 08:42:47 pm »

Google doesn't even do that!

Really? Is Google hiring? Wait. . . i don't know how to code. Damn it!

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 09:11:21 pm »

Hi gacl:
Why don't you join us on the board and help out with that editing? should'nt take to long each day. Seems like a good idea, right.
Wait to hear from you.
thxs
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 04:27:54 am »

Google doesn't even do that!

Really? Is Google hiring? Wait. . . i don't know how to code. Damn it!

That's actually a suggestion worth putting forward to them.

One of the problems I run into when doing academic research is that there are so many ways to transliterate names that had to be transliterated into Latin script, or haven't always been written in Latin script. It's a bugger. On top of that, Google sometimes does a crappy job of stemming foreign languages; for example, Google appears not to notice that someone who searches for an inflected Swedish verb may want to see results for its infinitive, or vice versa.

Unfortunately, the problem with implementing a work-around is that they'll have to consult countless experts to collect data on what's equivalent.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 07:56:12 am »

metvas: What kind of skills are required?

hanumizzle: Who knows if Google will get around to that. Didn't Jimmy Wales launch a wikified search engine? I can't remember.

Chao.

Gus

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 11:55:24 am »

Hi gacl:
You would have to run that by one of the admins. They are more familiar with that issue than I am. Try a PM to JohnB316.
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 01:33:55 pm »

Just to toss in my pitifull bunch of coppers:
Last time, I managed these boards, the only option to achieve the desired effect was manual editing.
Messageboard-software is not as flexible as is desired sometimes.

While certainly a desirable feature, I think the peeps to talk to would be the ones creating the MB-software and ask them to add the following feature:
An editable list of word-filters, so that synonyms could be added to the post-flags.

This way, the admin would just(Going by the example of the O.P.) need to pick "thumb drive" and insert the required synonyms "flash drives" , "pen drives" , "Solid State Drives" , and so on in a single row and have the search-function apply them all to any search for each of them.

Without such a function, coded into the boardsoftware it'll be just a gargantuan PITA.(of the admin, that is...)

<Lame sig>
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 02:11:10 pm »

The idea is that _all_ of the terms could show _all_ of the results. So if i search by "thumbdrive" it will also show "pendrive" _and_ "jumpdrive" _and_ "keydrive" _and_ "flash drive", and if i search by "keydrive" i will get all of those results too. No big deal though. . . just an idea.

By the way, if you search for pendrive, thumbdrive, keydrive, jumpdrive, etc, in wikipedia they all redirect to USB Flash Drive.

Chao.

Gus

I don't know of any db search tool that would allow this. The resources and server load required would cripple the forum in seconds. Better to learn how to utilize search parameters than attempt to reprogram the way db searches are done.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 03:38:37 pm »

Quote from: retired1af link=topic=3251.msg21163#msg21163 date=1182[quote
031870]
I don't know of any db search tool that would allow this. The resources and server load required would cripple the forum in seconds.

hmm, I dont know. May be you can just add an extra field in the table, something like "tags" or "search_terms" and index it, so the search engine will use it to do the job. Actually the server load will decrease, because the tags are less than the full post. The thing is how the script will select search terms to the extra field, but looks doable. Just a little extra hd space would be needed.

Better to learn how to utilize search parameters than attempt to reprogram the way db searches are done.

That is a good solution too...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
mr_volvo

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 07:04:37 am »

This definitely seems to be the realm of the forum software designer, not the admins here. But tags with each post do seem like a pretty simple way to accomplish the goal. This way when I go to post I could scan the list of previously entered tags and see if 'pen drive', 'usb flash drive' etc appears anywhere, if not I make up a new tag. If someone takes issue with the tag then the post author or an admin should be able to edit the tag. 

Tags do seem to be fairly common everywhere else on the net these days ;-) I'm currently searching the SMF website.

Edit(I came across this):
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=579
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:07:16 am by mr_volvo » Logged

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
muskrat

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 08:11:42 pm »

That would seem to me to be a mistake, because there is a difference in some of these.

For example "keydrive" is a special USB device to lock PCs without which you can't boot a PC.

I'm not sure about jumpdrive never heard of it.

Flash drive is generaly used for the cards that go in cammeras and such.

In reality the guts of all of them have some of the same parts, it's just if I'm looking for info on a pendrive/thumbdrive I really don't want to weed out all the flashcard/flashdrive entries.

"Who needs windows? When we have no walls!"
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 05:58:48 pm »

I'm not sure about jumpdrive never heard of it.

Flash drive is generaly used for the cards that go in cammeras and such.

Jumpdrive is a commonly used term for the device, as is flash drive. The thing you put in a camera is a flash CARD, not a flash drive--or maybe a memory card would be a better term.

The whole point of the multiple keywords suggestion is that there is some imprecision in the way terms are used, of which thumb drive, flash drive, pendrive, etc., etc., are good examples.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: