VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 11:32:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED !! internet not working even with VASM  (Read 2660 times)
kazuya
Vectorite

« on: June 05, 2007, 12:24:08 pm »

I have a gigabyte LAN network card. With many other distros my network worked. I even believe Vector Linux once worked. With VL 5.8 Gold, thesystem looks wonderful, but network or dhcp internet does not work.

I used VASM > netconf> but it did not fix my network issue. How do I start and ensure that my network card is properly setup for my Vector linux install? 
Is there another work through..

neither firefox nor seamonkey work..

I checked this link below:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3090.0\

I shall be posting my results shortly.. There is nothing special about my router.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 05:05:16 am by kazuya » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 02:53:37 pm »

Do these commands in a terminal as root and check their output:

1) dmesg | grep eth0   (should see the NIC card, does it?)
2) lsmod                      (should have a module loaded for the NIC card, is it there?)
3) ifconfig                    (should see a section for eth0, is it there?)
4) route                       (should see your router address, loopback and a default)

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 07:11:22 pm »

it works.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:51:32 am »

Totally [SOLVED], I'd say...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 06:27:16 am »

it works.

It would help others to solve similar problems by telling us what you actually did to make it work. Thanks!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 02:10:57 pm »

guys. bad news again. It worked fine upon reboot.
I had tried netconfig or something like that as compared to using VASM.

It worked upon reboot. I tested it again last night, and network issue repeated. I do no know if my issue is due to using the VL live. I have never had such an issue with Vector linux before.

I had similar issue with PCLOS2007 as well. But the fix for me was to ensure network was working fine and that I selected the right network device & having internet work before installing.

Something is off. I shall test out this theory tonight and report my results.

But Vector Soho 5.8 Gold looks simply astounding.. It is hard to imagine that it is not even using xorg 7. Great work.

Network issue may be as a result of my having two network DHCP devices on my PC. I may try disabling the one I do not use from my BIOS.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 02:16:28 pm »

Network issue may be as a result of my having two network DHCP devices on my PC. I may try disabling the one I do not use from my BIOS.
Oh, well in that case you might want to read this:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=979.0

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 05:04:50 am »

Hello all, I ended up downloading and installing the Vector Soho 5.8 Gold ISo versus the livecd. Now that was very pleasant, fast and network worked great off the bat. I shall be keeping that OS on that machine for a while. There are still somethings to iro out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: