VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 04:54:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally! Pre-installed Linux from Dell, Asus, HP and others.  (Read 12207 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: June 07, 2007, 06:24:34 pm »

Another Linux offering from a major manufacturer:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/114773/asus-stuns-computex-with-163100-laptop.html

Looks interesting.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 06:03:56 pm by nightflier » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

Yes, saw this lappie a couple of days ago and read more about it today. I just love the concept... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:40:26 pm »

Does Dell sell anyhting for $189.00 other than shipping?
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:00:15 pm »

Too bad they have a weird Asus customized Linux on a weird laptop. 2GB of storage space is just too little, I would be more excited if they offered a proper Linux on a proper laptop.

Perhaps this is an interesting thing to use as thin client or something. If I was looking for a laptop with that budget I'd search the second hand market though.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 11:14:03 pm »

Actually, according to another site I read, it can operate in 2 modes: full, running Linux or XP, and easy, with the stripped-down OS thingy. Also, it can come with 4 or 16 GB Flash drive too.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 05:04:10 am »

Shouldn't the topic title be, "First MadTux, then Dell, now Asus"?  Cheesy

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 05:44:35 am »

Good point.. changed to reflect that Dell was far from being the first!  Tongue
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 09:28:42 am »

It's interesting that the keyboard has the WinLogo key on it.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 09:33:05 am »

The Win keys are just two more modifiers...anyone can use them for any purpose.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 12:55:26 pm »

If it helps, I have a few decals left with penguins on them to cover the window flag  Grin
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 04:25:35 pm »

Perhaps you could send them to ASUS.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 05:47:10 pm »

Madtux is by no means the only dealer offering computers with Linux pre-installed. Walmart used to have computers with Linux OSes preinstalled for sale on its Web site but no longer does, which may or may not mean the computers didn't sell well. Linspire has worked vigorously to promote computers with Linspire preinstalled, and Linspire has been doing that for years, so I don't think Madtux is the first.

I'm holding my breath over the Dell Linux systems. If they sell well, we'll see more mass-market computer makers jump on board. If they don't meet Dell's sale expectations, Linux on the desktop will have a huge setback. Mass-market computer makers can point to Dell and say "they gave it a try and there just isn't a demand for Linux among the mainstream desktop market." We'll be worse off than we have been before Dell's foray into Linux consumer computers. So I hope Dell Linux computers sell like iPods.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 03:16:20 pm »

Walmart will still sell computers with Linux installed. However this is not up to Wallmart, it is up to computer OEMs such as Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, and the rest of the OEM brands... along with the OS-Linux-distrobution.

Linspire, as GrannyGeek mentioned, used to hardcore in this area as much as they could. I believe the reason that you are not seeing anymore Linspire computers (at least for the time being), is their transition with Ubuntu going on. Which is pretty much the reason you don't see them at Wallmart.com anymore. BTW, if that doesn't quite ring a bell as to Dells decision for Ubuntu ... it probably shoud  Wink

Lycoris, used to also be sold at Walmart preinstalled on computers, but that of course is long gone since Mandriva purchased Lycoris (I still think they should have done another name change, Mandrivoris has a ring to it  Cheesy  )

I don't expect that if Dell doesn't have success that Linux will fall short. HP is nearly just as big as Dell, and they haven't gone under by having a Linux OS on any of their systems. I would like to see great success from Dell on the venture to a Ubuntu preinstalled System, but that pretty much relies on their marketing strategies.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 07:32:20 pm »

Walmart will still sell computers with Linux installed.

They have never sold Linux computers in their stores, only online. There are currently no Linux computers for sale online, and there weren't any when I checked several weeks ago. Nor do they say anything about having Linux computers in the future. Of course, I know nothing about Walmart's plans for the future or why they don't currently offer any Linux computers.

However this is not up to Wallmart, it is up to computer OEMs such as Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, and the rest of the OEM brands... along with the OS-Linux-distrobution.

Walmart's Linux computers were never the major brands you mentioned, only the off-brand Microtel.

Linspire, as GrannyGeek mentioned, used to hardcore in this area as much as they could. I believe the reason that you are not seeing anymore Linspire computers (at least for the time being), is their transition with Ubuntu going on. Which is pretty much the reason you don't see them at Wallmart.com anymore. BTW, if that doesn't quite ring a bell as to Dells decision for Ubuntu ... it probably shoud  Wink

I can't figure out exactly what shape the Linspire/Ubuntu partnership will take. I've read the press releases and the explanations on Linspire's Web site and it's not a merger and Linspire will continue to develop distros under the Linspire name, as will Ubuntu under its own name. But you may be right. I did look at all the "partners" listed on Linspire's site as sellers of Linspire computers, and most of them are not doing so right now. There were still Linspire computers at Koobox, Sub300.com, and a Systemax through Amazon, but there used to be several more from a wider variety of retailers. It would be interesting to know what's really going on.

I don't get what you're hinting at about Dell's decision to go with Ubuntu. I think it was mainly because Ubuntu is the distro with all the buzz right now--whether or not we think Ubuntu deserves this. Dell is aiming its new Linux offerings to the desktop market, and it's thought that Ubuntu is the most popular desktop distro right now.

Lycoris, used to also be sold at Walmart preinstalled on computers, but that of course is long gone since Mandriva purchased Lycoris

Over the years Walmart has sold computers with several distros preinstalled. I recall Mandrake, Lindows/Linspire, Lycoris as you say, maybe Xandros. For a while they seemed to have a different distro available every time I checked.<g>

I don't expect that if Dell doesn't have success that Linux will fall short. HP is nearly just as big as Dell, and they haven't gone under by having a Linux OS on any of their systems.

HP doesn't sell any Linux computers to the home market. Their Linux computers are servers or business machines. Linux on servers is well established. Linux on the desktop has a tiny percentage of computer users. What's exciting and different about the Dell Linux computers is that a mass-market computer seller is offering a competitively priced computer with Linux preinstalled.

Many people, including me, think Linux will never gain a larger market share among desktop users until it is available preinstalled on mass-market computers. Ideally, you could walk into BestBuy or Staples and see Linux computers right there with the Windows computers (and in some cases, the Macs). Only a very small minority of computer users install operating systems. They use what is installed on the computer they buy. They don't upgrade it, they don't change it.

We'll never see Linux computers in the big stores if these first steps by Dell don't meet Dell's expectations. That's why it's important for Dell Linux computers to sell well.

I would like to see great success from Dell on the venture to a Ubuntu preinstalled System, but that pretty much relies on their marketing strategies.

I wonder if Dell will do any marketing of these systems. Has anybody seen any ads?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 08:24:47 pm »

They have never sold Linux computers in their stores, only online.

This is very untrue. I have bought one directly off the shelf from my local Wallmart store. I'm sure if I dig through my old book keeping records I can scan off the receipt, but the receipt probably doesn't say Linux computer on it, so that wouldn't do either of us any good.
Maybe the Walmart stores around your area haven't sold them , and maybe referred you to the online store, but I know for a fact mine did, because I bought one. I've seen many things in other locations of Walmart stores that MY local Wallmart doesn't have on shelves, in fact about a 35 minute drive away is another Wallmart store that carries much more than the one in my local area.

. There are currently no Linux computers for sale online, and there weren't any when I checked several weeks ago. Nor do they say anything about having Linux computers in the future. Of course, I know nothing about Walmart's plans for the future or why they don't currently offer any Linux computers
I'm pretty sure I covered this already when I mentioned that Linspire is transitioning to the Ubuntu base, and the fact that Lycoris, another distro that once sold through Wallmart, is no longer in existence. Therefore, these two distros aren't producing any , one for the time being as they transition, the other permanently.

Walmart's Linux computers were never the major brands you mentioned, only the off-brand Microtel.
The one I bought was from Hewelet Packard, plainly says so in it's BIOS splash screen, nice blue background with big white HP text and logo. Again, the quote is just plain wrong, and misleading.

I've read the press releases and the explanations on Linspire's Web site and it's not a merger and Linspire will continue to develop distros under the Linspire name
I don't think I have made any claims that the two distros are "merging". However Linspire is moving to the Ubuntu base. You can read between the lines, and speculate about the funding power the two combined will have. These two are in the business, and well I don't need to explain business tactics, as that's a completely different subject.

HP doesn't sell any Linux computers to the home market. Their Linux computers are servers or business machines.
HP sells their hardware, and there have been a few of them sold with Linux Operating systems on them, such as the one I got from Wallmart  Wink . They backed away because of some noise from MS. Archives of their decision to back away from Linux in that are can surely be found. And, just for the record:
http://mozillaquest.com/Linux_News03/HP-Mandrake-Linux-Desktop-PC_Story01.html

Many people, including me, think Linux will never gain a larger market share among desktop users until it is available preinstalled on mass-market computers. Ideally, you could walk into BestBuy or Staples and see Linux computers right there with the Windows computers (and in some cases, the Macs). Only a very small minority of computer users install operating systems. They use what is installed on the computer they buy. They don't upgrade it, they don't change it.

You can walk into those same stores and buy HP/Compaq computers too, setting on the sames shelves as any Dell would be. Right now they're all normally preinstalled with some Windows version, of course. My point was that there's other OEMs out there, that can learn and rise from Dell's mistakes (if they should fail in this area). Dell isn't the ONLY OEM out there that can do what it's doing. It's currently one of the largest companies to do it, but as I've stated, HP is nearly just as big, why couldn't they do it if Dell fails at it?. Any other OEM that sits up there in the rankings, for that matter. The much "smaller" ones, will probably see that as an omen for them, but I doubt it should be for the other top dogs.

Secondly, I agree that certainly is a big step for Linux in general in getting it's foot further into the doorway of the home user. I just don't see a failure of it holding Linux back. Linux has been through a lot and still prevails to succeed, and I don't see that changing. Sure , Dell makes a success out of this, it's an easier walk from there, but if Dell fails in this, it's not a dead end.

I wonder if Dell will do any marketing of these systems. Has anybody seen any ads?
This is a good thought and question. I haven't seen anything other than the claims on internet media. But that doesn't mean they aren't working at it, maybe there's some things that need to be "gone over" between Dell and Ubuntu. There's many things that could be going on over that, without any insider information, we may never know until we actually see it, or until they tell us.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 08:56:10 pm by Masta » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: