VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 06:13:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally! Pre-installed Linux from Dell, Asus, HP and others.  (Read 12819 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 10:18:47 pm »

They have never sold Linux computers in their stores, only online.

This is very untrue. I have bought one directly off the shelf from my local Wallmart store.

That's very interesting. How long ago did you buy it? I thought I had read that Walmart's Linux computers were available only online and you're certainly the first person I've heard of who bought one in a bricks and mortar store. Maybe if someone reading this also bought one, they could jump in.

HP doesn't sell any Linux computers to the home market. Their Linux computers are servers or business machines.

HP sells their hardware, and there have been a few of them sold with Linux Operating systems on them, such as the one I got from Wallmart  Wink . They backed away because of some noise from MS. Archives of their decision to back away from Linux in that are can surely be found. And, just for the record:
http://mozillaquest.com/Linux_News03/HP-Mandrake-Linux-Desktop-PC_Story01.html

The story states that the Mandrake option was available on a business system. Also, the story dates back to 2003. What happened? If the Mandrake business desktop had been a rousing success, wouldn't we see more Linux desktops available at HP now? Wouldn't they have expanded them to the home market as well? The article had an interview with Gael Duval of Mandrake. Is he not the one who got the heave-ho from Mandriva? I'm not making a connection in any way between his dismissal and anything to do with Mandrake on HP business desktops.

You can walk into those same stores and buy HP/Compaq computers too, setting on the sames shelves as any Dell would be. Right now they're all normally preinstalled with some Windows version, of course. My point was that there's other OEMs out there, that can learn and rise from Dell's mistakes (if they should fail in this area). Dell isn't the ONLY OEM out there that can do what it's doing. It's currently one of the largest companies to do it, but as I've stated, HP is nearly just as big, why couldn't they do it if Dell fails at it?.

Sure, any major computer maker could start offering Linux preinstalled on consumer-level desktops. Why don't they? Because they don't see sufficient demand and they would face increased costs for support. If the Dell Linux computers don't sell as well as Dell hopes, this would confirm that there isn't enough consumer demand to offer desktops with Linux preinstalled.

This would certainly not be the death of desktop Linux, but it would be a major setback for getting Linux more widely adopted. If Dell is successful, other manufacturers will get into this market, too. If Dell is not successful, other major manufacturers will be confirmed in their suspicions that there isn't a large enough demand to take this step. I am hoping Dell's sales will far surpass their expectations.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 04:59:35 pm »

HP doesn't sell any Linux computers to the home market. Their Linux computers are servers or business machines.

HP sells their hardware, and there have been a few of them sold with Linux Operating systems on them, such as the one I got from Wallmart  Wink . They backed away because of some noise from MS. Archives of their decision to back away from Linux in that are can surely be found. And, just for the record:
http://mozillaquest.com/Linux_News03/HP-Mandrake-Linux-Desktop-PC_Story01.html

The story states that the Mandrake option was available on a business system. Also, the story dates back to 2003. What happened? If the Mandrake business desktop had been a rousing success, wouldn't we see more Linux desktops available at HP now? Wouldn't they have expanded them to the home market as well? The article had an interview with Gael Duval of Mandrake. Is he not the one who got the heave-ho from Mandriva? I'm not making a connection in any way between his dismissal and anything to do with Mandrake on HP business desktops.

Now you're just backtracking your previous statements. My response was to show that HP, did , in FACT sell Linux on DESKTOP computers, and NOT just SERVERS. Was that release of Mandrake for Home users? Maybe not, but during that release of Mandrake they claimed it just as useful to home users as it was for business desktops.
Please read through the history of things, get the truth, before you start out with  statements which seem to place attacks upon others statements. I'm not going to set here and do your homework for you, I'll just point out simple facts, and leave it up to you and any other reader to gather the facts behind it. I am never known to place false statements of anykind, so stop trying to go there  Wink
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 06:32:27 pm »

M$ punishes distributors harshly for leaving the beaten path. That is all I can find out by talking with a few of the smaller distributors. and that information comes with a guarantee of anonymity they are fearful of what may or will happen to them if they support Linux..Read into that what you will.
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 01:00:37 am »

I saw some Linux pre-installed computers a few years ago at the Wal-Mart in Warrenton, Missouri.  I think they had Linspire on them.  I didn't buy one but I know I saw them - that sort of thing sticks in your mind, like seeing Bigfoot or getting getting abducted by an alien spacecraft.

I have to agree with metvas; not to get into Microsoft bashing here, but MS is the 800 pound gorilla that could really hurt a smaller company (or even a larger one) which decided to really promote Linux in marketing.  Such a company might find itself suddenly a Linux-only company.

On the earlier subject of the Windows key, I really miss my IBM Model M keyboard because it had no Windows key.  The Model M just broke recently.  I'm going to go on eBay to see if I can find another one (it's a great keyboard  ... sniff). Wink

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 09:30:35 am »

On the earlier subject of the Windows key, I really miss my IBM Model M keyboard because it had no Windows key.  The Model M just broke recently.  I'm going to go on eBay to see if I can find another one (it's a great keyboard  ... sniff). Wink

I remember when keyboards started having that key (Win95)...it really messed with my brain for a while. Now when I'm in WinXP I use the varous combinations with it often. I have not yet set up those combinations for similar events in VL even though I've thought about it several times. I just mentioned it earlier in this thread because I thought it funny that a machine was designed with a non-MS OS in mind (whose community is stereotypically anti-MS) but included a uniquely MS option (whose community is stereotypically oblivious to any other OS). Go figure...

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 01:25:01 am »

I really miss my IBM Model M keyboard because it had no Windows key.  The Model M just broke recently.  I'm going to go on eBay to see if I can find another one (it's a great keyboard  ... sniff). Wink

Check the bins in the thrift-stores; that's where I usually find my Model M-"machineGuns".
(I really don't give a rat's ass for that "windows-key", but my keyboards need to KLICK! Nothing beats mechanical switches under the keys.)

<Lame sig>
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 01:32:29 am »

(I really don't give a rat's ass for that "windows-key"...)

I find it quite useful, actually. How else would XEmacs recognize the Super modifier?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 03:53:30 am »

I thought of a use for the Windows key, but I would need some other things first.  I would need a device that could read minds from a distance, and I would need it to connect to my computer (USB would be preferable, and of course I would need a Linux driver for it).  I would also need to connect both my land line and my cell phone to my computer.  Then, I would need the mind-reading device to read the minds of incoming callers and detect which ones are relatives or "friends" who are calling me to say "My computer's broken" (usually = "my computer is overloaded with viruses and spyware and it won't boot/it's really slow").  At that point I would need an application that would give me a little pop-up notification of what the call was about, at which point I would hit the Windows key which would disconnect them (not send them to my voice mail).

I think the mind-reading device would be the hard part.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 09:34:22 pm »

I know I've said it a zillion times before, but I use left Windoze key for the Compose function.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 12:04:59 pm »

Add Epson. Yes, the printer people.

http://www.slashgear.com/epson-jumps-into-the-linux-pc-market-265923.php
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 06:15:24 am »

Walmart is offering the Everex IMPACT GC3502 for $298, featuring the VIA C7 processor 1.5 GHz, 1 GB DDR-2 ram, 80 GB hdd, DVD burner, Vista Home, Open Office...

http://www.everex.com/gc3502/index.htm

source:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070718-298-wal-mart-pc-features-openoffice-org-no-crapware.html

EDIT: $32 cheaper than VL-1OO (same options)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 08:38:01 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 08:55:13 am »

Asustek's $199 Laptop

video: IDG News Service
http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,526-page,1-bid,0/video.html

referring article:
http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2007/08/199_linux_lapto.html
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 09:26:58 am »

Lenovo also is now offering laptops to both businesses and consumers with Linux installed.  It just gets better...

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 11:34:25 am »

I call attention to this cheap laptop, not just because it runs Linux (Xandros), but because Linux would be the only (or best) OS choice for the device. I am urging that VL find a suitable specialty device, and establish an association or alliance with the device's distributor/manufacturer. Maybe a laptop like the Asus EEE, or a mini PC. While Microsoft pushes the hardware side to the sky in order to accommodate Vista, a new generation of devices emerges that becomes the exclusive domain of LInux, where VL could shine as the fastest and best.

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3000.0

Matter of fact, I just acquired a Media Stream eBox 3850ps, or at least, a mini PC that looks like a 3850ps. As soon as I obtain a power adapter for it, I will put VL on it and present a full report.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:33:23 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 12:07:13 pm »

wow, check out the specs:

Display: 7"
Processor: Intel mobile CPU (Intel 910 chipset, 900MHz Dothan Pentium M)

Memory: 512MB RAM <-- awesome!)

Storage: 8GB or 16GB flash hard drive
Webcam: 300K pixel video camera
Battery life: 3 hours using 4-cell battery
Weight: 2lbs
Dimensions: 8.9 in x 6.5 in x 0.82 in - 1.37 in (width x depth x thickness)
Ports: 3 USB ports, 1 VGA out, SD card reader, modem, Ethernet, headphone out, microphone in

IMO, is far better than the classmate and even the olpc.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:09:38 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: