VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 06:41:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Won't load the installer, boot hangs after pressing enter.  (Read 4067 times)
aadster

« on: June 08, 2007, 06:08:15 am »

Hi,

I'm using Vector Linux 5.8 STD Gold. The iso's md5 sum checked out fine.

When I restart with the CD in the drive, it shows the VL splash screen, and tells me to press enter, or select the type of kernel to load. After I press enter, or select any kernel type from the list (scsi, sata, linux, linux2, scsi2) it says it's loading linux, and the inirt (or something of the sorts), then it immediately goes to a black screen with a blinking white underscore. After that, I hear my hard drive click, and the computer is locked up, but the underscore continues to blink.

Any suggestions?

(I'm getting the same problem with Knoppix 5.1.1, as it locks up in the same place, with that blinking underscore. However Knoppix 5.0.1 boots fine.)

-aadster
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 06:38:46 am »

I have been known to be wrong, but it sounds to me like a hardware problem: either the hard drive or RAM, in my estimation. Is this a computer you had a previous OS on, did you have problems before with it? Try another Live CD on it such as VL Live or Slax and see if you get problems. Given that Knoppix Live is giving you problems I would almost certainly say it is a hardware problem.

If  it were me I would boot with the Ultimate Boot CD and use the hard drive diagnostic tools and memtest to see if it is either one of those problems.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
aadster

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 09:27:57 am »

I have been known to be wrong, but it sounds to me like a hardware problem: either the hard drive or RAM, in my estimation. Is this a computer you had a previous OS on, did you have problems before with it? Try another Live CD on it such as VL Live or Slax and see if you get problems. Given that Knoppix Live is giving you problems I would almost certainly say it is a hardware problem.

If  it were me I would boot with the Ultimate Boot CD and use the hard drive diagnostic tools and memtest to see if it is either one of those problems.

I've had Windows 2000 on it, and it ran fine, but I wanted to switch to linux, so I've ran Knoppix 5.0.1 and Damn Small Linux RC3, and they've worked great. I even did a hard drive installation of Knoppix 5.0.1, and it's worked. But, with VL 5.8 and Knoppix 5.1.1, I'm hanging up at the same spot. I'm burning the ultimate boot cd now, and I'll get back to you with the test results.
aadster

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:15:28 am »

I've had Windows 2000 on it, and it ran fine, but I wanted to switch to linux, so I've ran Knoppix 5.0.1 and Damn Small Linux RC3, and they've worked great. I even did a hard drive installation of Knoppix 5.0.1, and it's worked. But, with VL 5.8 and Knoppix 5.1.1, I'm hanging up at the same spot. I'm burning the ultimate boot cd now, and I'll get back to you with the test results.

I checked everything out, and it's all working OK. Still have the problem.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:56:48 am »

try turnng acpi off in your bios
aadster

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:02:10 am »

is that advanced power management?
aadster

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 11:24:07 am »

is that advanced power management?

I turned off Power Management in BIOS, still same problem.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:52:52 am »

ACPI and APM are actually different technologies.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
aadster

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 03:47:25 pm »

ACPI and APM are actually different technologies.

Could you elaborate please? How would I turn ACPI off? I've looked everywhere!

the cheatcode at boot: linux acpi=off

turns it off, but does nothing.

I also got SLAX Live CD, and it hung after loading initrd.gz also, only with no blinking underscore. grrr
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 05:10:47 pm »

Unless I missed something, I don't see a hardware description anywhere. That might help.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: