VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 12:43:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD Automount on SOHO 5.8 rc3  (Read 1129 times)
Misfit138

« on: June 08, 2007, 07:48:04 am »

I use Archlinux mainly, but I am impressed with Vector so far. Excellent work, devs and community!

On Arch, I have no cdrom nor dvd entries in fstab whatsoever, and DVD's mount upon insertion, which is what I want to do with Vector.
On Vector, with no cdrom nor dvd entries in fstab, I must manually mount from the console..udev or hal seems to be missing something.
When I add fstab entries for cdrom and dvd, handling of both is clunky from the desktop- inserting a DVD brings up 3 windows one for cdrom, cdrecorder and dvd asking what I want to do, along with desktop icons for each. ( Its also awkward to unmount or eject by device icons, since they don't seem to work right) I also must manually add the path to /dev/hda in VLC to get anything to play.
My question is, how can I make Vector more cleanly handle DVD's/CD's?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 08:01:14 am by Misfit138 » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 04:50:28 am »

HAL is not missing, it was left out because it's evil Grin. Especially on older computers the continuous polling of the hardware would cause serious slowdown. There should be a package of it somewhere in the repo's though, because it's needed for newer versions of xfce and for gnome too. I don't have a clue how to set it up, I try to stay away from unnecessary deamons to get better multimedia performance.

As for the dvd thing, can't really help you out there as I have no working dvd drive atm (hardware issues).

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: