VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 11:57:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4210 times)
Wilzer

« on: June 08, 2007, 01:06:17 pm »

I am a true noob when it comes to Linux. In an effort to extend the life of my old HP laptop (P3 @ 1.06G, 256M ram) I downloaded and installed VL SOHO. I have been very impressed with the "out of box" useability and the fact that my comp now preforms better than it did the day I bought it.
let me point out that I have a desire to experience the total Linux experience. That being said, Ive noticed that most of the forums and websites are speaking anywhere from slightly over my head to REALLY over my head. I was wondering if there is a resource for a true noob. Preferably something with a forum for more immediate feedback.

I look forward to my experience with this product. Thank you all in advance for any help you may provide
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 01:18:31 pm »

In general, a Google search of the words "Linux for newbies", will often give good results in articles with how to's and such written with less technical wording. I could post a lot of links here, but only you can find what is written in your terms. Hope this little bit helps get you going.

Also , don't be afraid to ask questions here for something that you may not understand. Many of us can reword things to make it easier to understand.

And...
          Welcome to VectorLinux. I hope you find a very pleasant experience with us  Smiley
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »

Just ask for a newbie simple explation and you will get just that.
Welsome to Vector
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »

IMHO if your really want to learn Linux borrow a good Linux manual from your local library, sit down with it at your computer and practice the examples in the textbook.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 01:49:48 am »

Hi Wilzer!
Glad to hear Vector is working out well for you so far.  I would echo the recommendations so far, and add that in my experience right here in these forums is a great place to start learning Linux.  The Vector community is very friendly.  A lot of the replies to various questions that I've seen have been from the developers, packagers, etc. of Vector Linux itself.  Everybody seems to sort of mingle together, like a big party.  I don't ever see anybody get nasty.  Just to start off you might want to rummage through the "Vectorbie Questions" - there's a lot of great stuff in there, especially for somebody who wants to learn new things, as you seem to.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Wilzer

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:00:49 am »

Thx to all for the friendly welcomes and advice. I think my main problem is its ALL Greek to me atm. Never fear though I shall soldier on comfortable with your assurances that I wont be eaten alive for asking noob questions.

My last involvement with anything non-ultra-GUI was on a Commodore 64 in the 80's ....anyone recognize this programming gem??

10 print "Vector Linux Rocks!!!!"
20 goto 10

thanks again ...Im sure Ill be speaking to all of you soon...
Rusty Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 09:54:20 am »

Basic!!! Learned some programming on a Super Pet.

Bryant - another newbie
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:06:02 am »

Hey Wilzer, I had a Commodore 64 in college!  Didn't we all who are of a certain age?

10 print "Vector Linux Rocks!!!!"
20 goto 10

OH NOES!!!  Infinite loop!

If you want send me a private message and I'll send you my email.

By the way, I've probably tried around 20 or so Linux distributions, and Vector is the best by far.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 11:51:36 am »

Actually,
10 ?"VectorLinux Rocks!!!"
20 goto 10
...worked out rather well for me  Grin

I was a C= programmer back in those days, and then moved into Linux from there. Imagine the dilemma I had trying to get the codes and commands correct  Roll Eyes . It was truly a learning curve. Everyone starts out somewhere, and at one time was a newbie. I am far from being a "Linux Almighty", but I look forward to helping where and when I can.
Cheers
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 01:43:38 pm »

Hi Wilzer! I owned a Sinclair (like the Spectrum) a similar machine. I made several basic programs on that! My favourite Sinclair basic command was BEEP, it used to play, well... a beep, with pitch and duration as arguments. I remember I made a small program to convert my sinclair keyboard on a little music box, with several octaves, my mom used to turn off the damn thing because of the noise  Grin. A friend o mine owned A Commodore 128, we used to spend hours playing Emilyn Hughes Soccer, Gianna Systers, Wonder Boy and Super Mario!
Well, nice to see guys who still remember the Commodore!
Welcome and enjoy VL!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Wilzer

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 02:47:38 pm »

Wow you old hackers got me all nostalgic....anyone of you remember this thing

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/CastleAdventure/index.html

I spent hours upon hours playing this text based thing........imo it still kicks WoW's butt
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 12:07:26 am »

Wilzer ...
I never heard of Castle Adventure until now.  At the time that game came out, I was playing paper-and-pencil D&D, though it wasn't long after that I was playing the Advanced D&D 'Pool of Radiance' game on the Commodore.  I have a DOS copy of that one, could probably load it up on DOSBox, but I seem to remember that it came with this cardboard wheel that you had to use to figure out certain codes of runes - I don't think I have that anymore.

I still fire up the Microsoft Arcade version of Centipede once in a while, which takes me back to the days when I used to hang out in Video Game Arcades ... now I must sound really old.

I'm talking about "the good old days!"

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: