VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 01:05:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Annoying Problems...  (Read 2083 times)
vtel57

« on: June 08, 2007, 02:47:24 pm »

Hello, folks...

I seem to be experiencing some bugaboos with Vector and KDE. Any help would be appreciated.

1) I cannot move the applets around on the kicker panel or the child panel. There are no "drag handles". Right clicking on most of the applets just gives me the applet configuration menus. Panels are unlocked.

2) Font sizes on the Firefox and Thunderbird menus (not in the webpage area) are huge, 16 pts or bigger. I cannot find any KDE setting that affects them. These are the only windows that display this behavior. Konqueror and other windows are fine.

3) I can't set up my repos with the proper sources. The current ones are not working. I was able to pick an nluug server for Slackware 11, but that's it. Can't select any Vector servers. None will refresh properly. Note: I checked on this forum earlier and found some updated repo info. I'll try to use that info to fix this problem.

4) At one point, I checked my system with SysGuard and it was using up 99% of my 2Gig RAM. That's not right. A reboot got it back down to 230Meg or so.

I'm beginning to think I have a corrupted install here. Any input? Ideas? Help!

Thanks in advance,

~Eric

Registered Linux User #423757

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 06:54:18 pm »

1) Try right-clicking panel, select configure panel > Appearance > Advanced options > Applet handles: select visible of fade out.

4) While sysguard and top show me using over 90% memory, htop reports less than 25%. I don't notice any slowdown, so I suspect htop is closer.
vtel57

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 07:16:33 pm »

Thanks, nightflier.

I'm back in Slack at the moment. When I boot back into Vector, I'll check out your suggestions. Smiley

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 09:23:28 pm »

2) Font sizes on the Firefox and Thunderbird menus (not in the webpage area) are huge, 16 pts or bigger.

Try the info in the third post in this thread:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2352.0

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
vtel57

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:33:29 pm »

Thank you, lagagnon. I'll check these suggestions out later this weekend. I'll let you know what happens. I just finished custom compiling a kernel on Zenwalk so I could get rid of the d*mned libata driver and have IDE support once again. I'm tired now. Wink

G'night...

~Eric

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***
vtel57

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 10:56:25 am »

Man! I must have been frustrated and half asleep when I posted these problems the other night. What a difference two days away makes. I fixed the applet problem and the font problem in about 30 seconds when I booted into Vector today.

Thanks for the help, folks!

I had gone round and round that night with these two problems. I had the drag handles hiding on the applets... DUH! And I just needed to adjust the GTK fonts rather than the KDE Theme fonts to fix the font problem.

I think the SysGuard resource usage was just a fluke. I haven't seen it again.

As far as the repos problem... I'm off to tackle that one now. I'm sure it's something simple, too.

Regards,

~Eric

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: