VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 08:27:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] SOHO RC3, fuse, and ntfs-3g not cooperating?  (Read 2575 times)
Countman

« on: June 09, 2007, 06:08:06 am »

I upgraded from Beta 2 to RC3 (full re-install).

As expected, my Windows drives did not map, so I mapped them using VASM.

Then I applied the FSTAB fix I had used previously:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2479.0

I got warnings from ntfs-3g during bootup about kernel module and fuse.

Tried using Gslapt to add/remove fuse, ntfs-3g, and the fuse kernel module.  No combination I could find worked.

Digging around this forum leads me to think there is a fuse to kernel version mismatch, but I could be totally off.

Another puzzling aspect this time is that I can't open my VFAT partition either.

FSTAB Section:
#Windows Partitions
/dev/hdc1   /mnt/Windows_C  ntfs-3g  defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users   0 0
/dev/hdd1   /mnt/WIndows_D  vfat  umask=0,quiet,shortname=mixed 0 0

Kernel version: 2.6.20.7

Any help would be appreciated!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 05:33:01 pm by JohnB316 » Logged
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 03:01:15 pm »

Countman,

I would suggest installing the VL 5.8 SOHO Final, as the fuse and ntfs-3g modules work correctly (at least for me). I'm able to mount read-write a Win2K NTFS partition on the box from which I'm posting this reply.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Countman

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:03:24 am »

Thanks, John, I didn't notice the Final was available for download.

Downloaded and installed, used VASM to add the partitions.  The VFAT partition mounted OK, but still having trouble with NTFS.

Haven't tried tinkering with fuse and ntfs-3g packages yet.

BTW - the Final is really elegant, and still fast as .... usual!
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 10:23:51 am »

To have the fuse service load at startup, run VASM -> SUPER -> SRVSET -> whatever run levels you are using. Make sure that fuse is selected.

As far as mounting an NTFS partition using ntfs-3g, I have such a partition on my VL box. Here is the line in /etc/fstab that mounts it:

Code:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/winnt ntfs-3g defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec 0 0

Change the /dev/hda1 to reflect the actual location of your NTFS partition. Also change /mnt/winnt to reflect the mount point you are going to use for mounting your NTFS partition.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Countman

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:57:16 pm »

Thanks, John, got it all up and running!

BTW I made a stupid error - the mount point was not the same as the mount folder (off by one character).  As the fuse error message about kernel module scrolled by on the screen, I noticed it was preceded by a simple one-liner that gave me a clue about the mount point.  Really, the whole big message about kernel modules was misleading.

Much appreciated!

Countman
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: