VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 12:59:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: We now have a chat room!  (Read 48326 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: June 09, 2007, 05:23:07 pm »

I found a little chat room program for this forum software so i grabbed it and installed............. Grin
It's pretty basic but it works. Look at your top navigation bar you should see chat there as long as your using the boards default theme. I found that right clicking on the chat button and choosing to open in new window was the best so you could go on with your forum business and also see if someone came into chat. Have fun!!!
cheers,
Vec
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 05:31:13 pm »

wow, vec! that sounds like fun and an improvement to the already great forum!
A nice way to have more direct contact, looks useful if some people have and urgent problem and maybe someone on the chatroom can help.
Thanks!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 11:49:01 pm »

Looks like the chat room was short-lived.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 12:16:14 am »

i found a much better one called flashchat..........trying to get it integrated keep you all posted .......gettin late so may not be till tomorrow..........cost us $5 so you know damn well ill get it working.............. Grin
cheers,
vec
for now try http://vectorlinux.com/forum2/chat
see if anything happens
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 02:51:16 am »

FlashChat looks nice  Smiley

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 04:16:22 am »

Indeed, it does look nice. But do we really need 4 more chatrooms? now we have a total of 6 rooms (including #vectorlinux and #vectorlinux-admin). My suggestion is to cut down to 1 or perhaps two. otherwise we'll just drown in empty chatrooms.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 06:58:29 pm »

the new flashchat is in you should see a chat button in the navigation bar of this forums default theme. Looks like ill have to do it manually for the other themes........Sad
have fun!
vec
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 09:31:09 pm »

If you are interested, the current Flash-based chat does not work with SWFDEC.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 05:32:25 am »

Is there any way to make this connect to #vectorlinux on irc.freenode.org?

IMHO, it would be a lot better, that way we can concentrate our efforts to help users better.

I know for a fact this can be done in Java, (But dont know any java proggramming).

Just a thought

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 09:12:11 am »

i was about to say its a bit heavy,but when i saw you payed for it,just wanted to say how glossy and nice it looks. Smiley

This might be choppy internet,but am i the only one who gets kicked out of the chat randomly and prompted for user/pass? Undecided

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 09:41:38 am »

Is there any way to make this connect to #vectorlinux on irc.freenode.org?

IMHO, it would be a lot better, that way we can concentrate our efforts to help users better.

I know for a fact this can be done in Java, (But dont know any java proggramming).

Just a thought

You are rigth moe, but I think is nice to have a chat integrated to the forum.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 11:04:12 am »

Right... nice and all, but it would much nicer if we could port users though this site to talk to #vectorlinux in freenode.
It would be much easier to keep all of our eggs in one basket, keep our small team of people who are willing to help new comers easily, And it would also be nice because user's dont have to look in 3 places for help, click on "chat" here, and you're getting the help from the same place.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 12:47:19 pm »

They connect the web chat to the IRC channel on www.tvtorrents.com - #tvtorrents - guy that goes by Johan runs the thing.  Maybe he would be willing to help out or give a pointer or two.

For the record, I have never downloaded anything to which I did not have copyright permissions.  Grin

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 12:48:51 pm »

I agree with you, I have not java skills neither, but I can do a little inet reaserch and see what can I find.

--EDIT: After a while, no results. I found just one mod that works with http://irc.everywherechat.com/ but no one with freenode  Angry
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 02:56:36 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 05:22:34 am »

Here is one that works with freenode http://www.jwirc.com/chat.html

dunno if it's possible to implement that or embed it into a page to connect just to #vectorlinux

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: