VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 12:52:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: installing pcakages offline  (Read 3614 times)
mrms81

« on: June 09, 2007, 09:32:18 pm »

Hi,

I want to know, is there any way of installing a package without the use of internet. I have a problem with installing my CDMA to the Vector 5.8 Gold, but I am working on it.

In Ubuntu 6.06, there are two methods of installing pakcages with out a internet connection to your pc.

1. Is to download a cd, from somewhrere else of course, and add the cd to your repository sources. It is very easy. Then you can select the packages you want from the cd, the system will automatically install it. the correct word for the cd is "Addon cd". Dependancies are included on the cd.

2. Is to select the packages you want from the enabaled repository sources and save a script of the packages. What I do with the script is extract the direct link to the packages and save it on a txt document, then go to the internet cafe, mass download the packages with HTTrack (a great software Smiley), and install it with feature called "Install Downloaded Packages" , it will automatically install the packages. There wont be a dependency problem because the generated script by the ubuntu package manger include the links for them also.

If you guys have any idea to solve my problem please let me know.

Thank  you.

mrms81
forbajato
Packager

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 04:28:28 am »

If you have downloaded the package then you can pretty easily install it offline with installpkg <package name>.  This won't automatically resolve dependencies though.  To get around this I check the package web page for dependencies and make sure I have them locally and can install them prior to using installpkg.

HTH,

forbajato
mrms81

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 09:29:11 am »

Thats the point, you cant go checking individual packages and dependencies for them, and the dependencies for the dependencies, downloading them individually and installing them individually and you have to install them in the proper order, otherwise you will get the dependecy problem even if you have the proper dendencies at hand.

It can be done easily if a good package management system is there.

mrms81
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 10:05:12 am »

installpkg will ignore the dependencies, so you can freely install anything in any order. But if you think of installing gnome...then you're in for trouble.There you just must o follow some order.Its best to use a meta-package..

so,just download your packages
open terminal in the dir where they are
su
installpkg *

this will install everything thats in the directory

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
mrms81

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:19:43 am »

Thanks mate, I didnt know about that. And one more thing whats a meta package?
Is it some sort of package with all the dependecies included. Can you please give me a link to a source containing such packages.

Thanks
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:20:46 am »

a meta package is a package that is empty.All it does is tell Gslapt to install a number of other packages that are at the same repo the meta package is.
There is a kde-meta and gnome-meta ,etc...These packages are one-click-install of the packages that you will need to run kde or any other biggie Roll Eyes
The metapackage just tells gslapt to install a number of packages. You might have seen in ubuntu repositories meta-packages with ridiculous names that might give the user the wrong impression ( "ubuntu-desktop" , "kubuntu-desktop"....where if you uninstall open office,it makes you uninstall "ubuntu-desktop" which kinda scares people ,because they think it will uninstall their desktop,lol...but its only a stupidly named metapackage that doesnt uninstall anything)

metapackages only install. If you uninstall a metapackage,i think it wont uninstall any of the packages it installed (i might be wrong,only one way to find out) .So be carefull what your metapackage has,because you might have to uninstall it later one-by-one.. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 09:26:05 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: