VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: DVD Automount on SOHO 5.8 rc3  (Read 1317 times)

Misfit138

DVD Automount on SOHO 5.8 rc3
« on: June 08, 2007, 08:48:04 am »

I use Archlinux mainly, but I am impressed with Vector so far. Excellent work, devs and community!

On Arch, I have no cdrom nor dvd entries in fstab whatsoever, and DVD's mount upon insertion, which is what I want to do with Vector.
On Vector, with no cdrom nor dvd entries in fstab, I must manually mount from the console..udev or hal seems to be missing something.
When I add fstab entries for cdrom and dvd, handling of both is clunky from the desktop- inserting a DVD brings up 3 windows one for cdrom, cdrecorder and dvd asking what I want to do, along with desktop icons for each. ( Its also awkward to unmount or eject by device icons, since they don't seem to work right) I also must manually add the path to /dev/hda in VLC to get anything to play.
My question is, how can I make Vector more cleanly handle DVD's/CD's?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:01:14 am by Misfit138 »

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
Re: DVD Automount on SOHO 5.8 rc3
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 05:50:28 am »

HAL is not missing, it was left out because it's evil ;D. Especially on older computers the continuous polling of the hardware would cause serious slowdown. There should be a package of it somewhere in the repo's though, because it's needed for newer versions of xfce and for gnome too. I don't have a clue how to set it up, I try to stay away from unnecessary deamons to get better multimedia performance.

As for the dvd thing, can't really help you out there as I have no working dvd drive atm (hardware issues).
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.