VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 05:21:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad partitions  (Read 3463 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« on: June 11, 2007, 08:28:32 am »

Hi! When a launch cfdisk I get the following;

FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 1: logivcal partitions overlap

Any idea what could be going wrong, and how I might fix it without reinstalling Vector? I can still use Vector but 2 GB of hard drive space has gone missing which I'd like to reclaim.

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:03:24 am »

what does the output of "fdisk -l" show you?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:16:34 pm »

Thanks for the advice.

It shows that the primary partition ends at precisely the same point as the extended one;

Device                                 Start                                          End

dev/hda1                                  1                                          946
dev/hda2                              946                                        2614
dev/hda5                             1194                                       2162
/dev/hda6                            2195                                       2614

That could be it, maybe it could be solved by shrinking the primary partition with gparted?
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:08:23 am »

Update: I booted up Puppy (live) and tried to run gparted, and it didn't recognise any separate partitions at all. It simply showed my whole hard drive as hda1.

If no one else has any suggestions I think I'll simply live with the missing *2GB of space until I decide to reformat the extended partition and start again, but I'd like to know how to prevent a reoccurrence, and if anyone knows how that can be achieved (so that I don't get a partition starting at the same place another one ends at) I'd be grateful for the info.

Thanks for your attention anyway,

Colonel Panic.

* I've got a 20GB hard drive, so the loss isn't insignificant.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 12:31:46 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:09:56 am »

The safest (as in more standards-compliant) partitioning tool is supposed to be cfdisk, so maybe use that for partitioning next time.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:58:28 am »

Those partitions are very weird, and quite truly hosed. What program did you use to make them? I recall a couple of years ago having such a problem after attempting to use an older version of "fips" on a previously partitioned drive. I ended up having to delete all the partitions and start again with cfdisk as suggested by Joe1962. I have never used fips since!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 09:34:30 am »

It would appear that hda2 is an extended vs primary partition and that hda5,6 are logical in the extended hda2. With hda1 and hda2 sharing sector 946 there will of course be a conflict. Have you tried the testdisk utility (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download)? This may save your partitions and therefore any data.
HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 12:29:17 pm »

The safest (as in more standards-compliant) partitioning tool is supposed to be cfdisk, so maybe use that for partitioning next time.

I generally do use cfdisk, I'm not sure what happened this time. I used gparted to shrink the NTFS partition to get Linux on there, but that's all.

Mike, I've now downloaded Testdisk and I'll give it a whirl. Looks a bit big for floppy, though (1.6 MB).

It's an annoyance more than anything, it means I have lost 2 GB of my hard drive. Both Windows and Linux seem to function OK in the remaining 18 GB.

Oh yes, and I can't get any more Linux distros on board, so maybe you fellows should have kept quiet....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 12:58:23 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 06:21:52 pm »

Testdisk comes with several live cds as well as with system rescue cd (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page) and ultimate boot cd (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/). Perhaps I should've mentioned this too. Anyway I hope it is helpful for you...if I was not able to use 2Gb of any disk large or small I would be going through the paces to "recover" that space. (I rarely use WinXP's disk manager to format NTFS partitions because it doesn't use the last 8Mb of a disk. Even with a 250Gb disk that bothers me so I use GParted.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:26:44 pm by mikecindi » Logged

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 02:51:53 pm »

Thanks, but on loading and running testdisk the only way of fixing the problem seems to be changing the disk geometry, number of heads etc,., which strikes me as a very high risk procedure.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 03:57:59 am »

too true...can you verify that the current values are correct for you HD?

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 09:40:41 am »

Probably, but I'd have to return to Windows and use one of the programs I've got there such as Everest.

I might give it a try later, so thanks for replying.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 09:42:19 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 05:49:18 am »

A quick update; in the absence of an easy solution I've decided to keep things as they are for the time being, at least until I want to install another distro (or version of Vector). It would take too much work to erase and then reinstall Vector, which I'd have to do, and then set it up again the way I like it.

It would be nice to get the missing space back though, and so I'm on the lookout for a disk partitioner which can read the hard drive properly, i.e. recognise the partitions as they currently are instead of picking up the entire hard drive as an undifferentiated hda1 partition as gparted (run from Puppy) does.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 05:57:04 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 01:33:19 am »

Another and hopefully final update; through a combination of almost suicidal recklessness with testdisk (I lost my Windows partition at one point!) and the error correction facility on Partition Magic Demo, I managed to get my missing space back and have now installed Zenwalk 4, of which more elsewhere.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: