VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 03:52:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved]where is the kernel source package??  (Read 4965 times)
jklslvch

« on: May 26, 2007, 03:30:56 pm »

Hey i'm trying to install the NVIDIA drivers so i went to the official page and downloaded the installer but it asks for the kernel source to recompile it. And when I installed VL I didn't choose to install the kernel source so now what?  Huh  And is it safe to do so, and how long does it take to compile?

PS: Im running Vector Linux SOHO 5.8 i dont know if theres a difference between the Standard and SOHO kernels.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 03:42:01 am by easuter » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

put your SOHO cd in the drive, mount it, and then type "installpkg /mnt/cdrom/veclinux/optional/kernel-src.tlz"
that will install the kernel source
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 04:00:11 pm »

EDIT: Uel beats me, but I wrote a lot so here it is anyway (you can pass the part Uel answered better than me  Wink)

it asks for the kernel source to recompile it.

It ask for the kernel source because the instaler need it to compile the driver, your kernel wiil be not recompiled.

when I installed VL I didn't choose to install the kernel source so now what?

hmm, I always install the kernel source, so I dont know the exact location of the package on the cd, and I dont know if it is compressed or is already "visible", I dont have the cd rigth now to take a look. Anyway, you can explore the cd to find a package named kernel-src-2.6.xx-xxx-xxx.tlz
If it is no there, you can grab it from the repo here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/kernels/
Be sure you grab the exact version you have installed on your computer (you can find this by typing uname -r on a terminal). If you never changed it should be 2.6.20.3 on the new soho. Once you downloaded the package install it as regular.

And is it safe to do so, and how long does it take to compile?
It is safe, your kernel will be not touched. The time depends on your hard, but is just a moment.

Im running Vector Linux SOHO 5.8 i dont know if theres a difference between the Standard and SOHO kernels.

SOHO and STD have different versions of the kernel. Std have 2.18.xx and soho 2.6.20.3  (I cant remember the subversion of std rigth now and I am not on my computer).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 04:03:46 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
jklslvch

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 09:00:52 pm »

well i did what uelsk8s said and it worked now i got my nvidia card working. Thanx
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: