VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 02:39:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Releases Safari Beta for Winderz  (Read 30864 times)
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« on: June 11, 2007, 04:56:15 pm »

I learned today that Apple has released a beta of their latest version of the Safari web browser for Windoze. I'm using it now on a Win2K partition. It seems to work nicely to this point. Apple states that it needs WinXP or Vista to work, but it also works on Win2K. It would be interesting to see whether Apple ports Safari to Linux. Probably won't happen, but...

FWIW,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 05:06:32 pm »

It would be interesting to see whether Apple ports Safari to Linux. Probably won't happen, but...

Probably not, since Safari uses a modified version of Konqueror's KHTML engine (which they very magnanimously released to the Konqueror devs thanks to the GPL  Tongue).

I am surprised that Apple are releasing a version for Windows...didn't see that coming  Smiley

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:38:38 am »

Damned Apple went and did it for Winders, when it should have been way easier and also shown more appreciation, to have done it for the BSDs and Linux first, seeing as they used khtml... Angry

BTW, it is worse than pre-alpha software. Haven't gone more than 2 minutes with it on any attempt. Crashes by doing just about anything, even clicking on the bookmarks icon.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Precursor

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:38:20 am »

BTW, it is worse than pre-alpha software. Haven't gone more than 2 minutes with it on any attempt. Crashes by doing just about anything, even clicking on the bookmarks icon.

Don't ask how Firefox and Opera is working under Windows Vista 32bit version. Angry
I bought Fujitsu-siemens Amilo series laptop 5 weeks ago with Vista preinstalled.Since 2 or 3 critical updates which I've done 2 weeks ago all internet browsers crashes minimum twice per hour expect Explorer 7.Isn't normal?  Wink
I don't wanna even think about Safari stability on Windows platform.

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." - HAL 9000
Precursor

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:42:56 am »

I am surprised that Apple are releasing a version for Windows...didn't see that coming  Smiley
I'm not really suprised.Since I Pod things Apple started new marketing activity which is developing any possible solution for increasing amount of money.

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." - HAL 9000
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 04:27:44 am »

Here is a humorous article from The Inquirer, as usual:

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40266

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 03:08:43 am »

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,1000000097,39287595,00.htm

Apparently Steve Jobs thinks this Safari release for Windows will bring Safari's market share to a quarter of the browser market... Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes

Well, he's also the guy who said the Segway would be "as big a deal as the PC"Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:04:36 am by easuter » Logged

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 03:37:14 am »

That guy needs a reality check. The segway is a(n expensive) toy, their crappy browser is a crappy browser, that's all there is to it.

The majority of Wind OS users don't seem to care about using an alternative browser instead of IE, those that do already have plenty of choice. If he honestly believes that browser can get 25% market share he probably also believes in fairytales.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 09:59:11 am »

Unfortunately, the Segway is a waste. A man built a self-balancing scooter for a fraction of the price:

http://tlb.org/scooter.html

Nice hack, but even so, self-balancing scooters are pretty pointless when you can add a third wheel.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 12:23:14 pm »

The majority of Wind OS users don't seem to care about using an alternative browser instead of IE, those that do already have plenty of choice. If he honestly believes that browser can get 25% market share he probably also believes in fairytales.

The majority of the Windows users I deal with do not even know what a webbrowser is (bravo, Bill). Suggesting that they can use something other than IE, I am met with blank stares (and at that point I abandon any hope for their salvation).

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 12:26:44 pm »

The majority of the Windows users I deal with do not even know what a webbrowser is (bravo, Bill). Suggesting that they can use something other than IE, I am met with blank stares (and at that point I abandon any hope for their salvation).

It's really easy:

1) Install Firefox
2) Label Firefox on teh desktop 'Internet Explorer'

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 12:45:49 pm »

It's really easy:

1) Install Firefox
2) Label Firefox on teh desktop 'Internet Explorer'

LOL I did that on my father's computer. I think that is forgiven by the Moses Table though  Grin.
Asa Dotzler (the spread ff project leader) visited Argentina recently, the spread firefox project looks very active. I dont know about the results  Huh, but Firefox owns the 20% of the market, which is pretty good given the ie advantages (preinstalled in almost every computer). I dont know if the spread ff project has something to do with that though. The hanimizzle tactic could really work if a lot of people makes a commitment with it, I am with you, I will install ff on every computer I can, at nights.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 04:21:17 pm »

I am not a Firefox lover. It's Opera all the way here. When I use Firefox I'm constantly missing features Opera has that Firefox doesn't, or that you need Firefox extensions to get.

I like IE much less than Firefox, though. Unfortunately, I still run across Web sites that don't work with anything but IE. I usually send a complaint to the Webmaster. Maybe if enough of us do that, they'll drop the proprietary stuff.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 04:30:20 pm »

The majority of the Windows users I deal with do not even know what a webbrowser is (bravo, Bill).

I wouldn't blame Bill for that. My husband is one of those who doesn't know what a browser is. If I tell him to start the browser, he gives me a blank stare. He's not much of a computer user and since he does e-mail or reads a Web page only after I've got the browser up, he's using Linux and Opera, not Windows and IE. He's probably way more typical of computer users than almost everyone on this board.

Hey, people don't even know what OS they're using, much less what an operating system is. On forums where I do online support we ask people "what version of Windows are you using" and more likely than not, they say "Microsoft Word." Sad
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 11:47:21 pm »

Hey, people don't even know what OS they're using, much less what an operating system is. On forums where I do online support we ask people "what version of Windows are you using" and more likely than not, they say "Microsoft Word." Sad
--GrannyGeek

I can verify that!  Used to be regularly told by people that their operating system was Windows 97 - meaning that they were running MS Office 97!  When I was still an IT instructor the European Computer Driving License had a module that could best be described as an introduction to computers, where the idea of an operating system was introduced as distinct from application software.  Many students just couldn't understand the distinction and took a long time to get their heads round the concept.  Ask a person what web browser they are running and you get the answer, "its a Dell".   Unfortunately people don't understand the basics, but then on another level why should they, a computer is a tool, if it gets the job done then what does it matter if they don't know their browser from the make of the computer builder?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: