VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 10:28:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Releases Safari Beta for Winderz  (Read 31371 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2007, 03:28:40 pm »

I know about Pidgin, But it doesn't do every thing the foolish public like to do with MSN messanger.
You said it, I didn't  Wink
For example, most MSN users user the instant messanger to check thier email. Will Pidgin do that?

Direct from the Pdgin website:

"Can I use Pidgin for e-mail, blogging, an RSS feed, or something else that isn't IM-related?

No, you can't. We get requests for this often, but Pidgin is indeed a messaging client. Aside from the capabilities each protocol may support, the Pidgin developers have no intention to turn Pidgin into a multi-feature Internet client capable of doing everything under the sun. We also won't be helping to develop plugins to turn it into that. There are many Internet applications available for Linux, Windows, or whatever operating system you use that would undoubtedly do a better job."

If your clients want your cyber cafe machines to be EXACTLY like their machines at home maybe they should stay at home and use their own machine!  Wink

There is also the option to use "amsn". It might have more of the features MSN users "require". But I don't know it so can't help you there....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 03:30:47 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2007, 03:55:41 pm »

muskrat:

I know ciberlinux, the distro I talk a few posts down, ships an aMsn tweaked for looks and function just like msn, including webcam support and such things, it is all in spanish though, since is an argentinian distro. You could take a look to "steal" the amsn configuration.

http://tecnicoslinux.com.ar/ciberlinux/escritorio7.png
http://tecnicoslinux.com.ar/web/node/125
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:04:58 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2007, 04:11:28 pm »

For example, most MSN users user the instant messanger to check thier email. Will Pidgin do that?
Don't know about MSN, but I have it permanently logged on to gtalk and it checks my gmail and alerts me about messages.

EDIT: When you go to add or edit an account in Pidgin, you will see a "New Mail Notifications" checkbox. You will have to test it on MSN, as I don't use it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:15:33 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
muskrat

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2007, 10:54:55 am »

If your clients want your cyber cafe machines to be EXACTLY like their machines at home maybe they should stay at home and use their own machine! There is also the option to use "amsn".

My Clients are for the most part students in grade school, taking thier frist years of computor, they have no PC at home, just the ones they use at school. The biggest problem I have is the teachers aren't really that swift on PCs themselves, they only know the basic, and only teach the basics. So in the case of MSN, "One cat jumped out of the boot and all the other 9 followed".

I'll look into AMSN, will it install into Debian I wonder?

I know ciberlinux, the distro I talk a few posts down, ships an aMsn tweaked for looks and function just like msn, including webcam support and such things, it is all in spanish though, since is an argentinian distro. You could take a look to "steal" the amsn configuration.

I'll have a look, thanks! As for spanish that's fine because that's where I need it, in Mexico!

"Who needs windows? When we have no walls!"
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2007, 11:03:52 am »

I'll look into AMSN, will it install into Debian I wonder?

Sure it will, that distro I mentioned is just kubuntu hacked for internet cafes.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2007, 07:14:23 am »

Back to the original topic  Shocked, I think I understand now: Safari will be the main tool to interact with the iphone and other gadgets. So Steve thinks the safari fate is attached to the success of the Apple devices.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2007, 03:09:53 am »

rbistolfi

What is this "iPhone" you speak of?

Just joking.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2007, 04:00:46 am »

je je, that is a point for steve jobs, you say you dont know what an iphone is, and it is an obvious  joke!! I don´t know if the strategy will work, but we often say, "Steve is crazy or dumb", well, may be he is crazy, but he knows how to make business. I used to think Apple was giving up on the desktops race, even when it is well prepared for the future. They have a brand, they have a unix based system, so the transition to 64bits or other archs should be painless, and they have money. the Apple devices can take them back to the race, or at least, can give them a nice push.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2007, 05:10:05 am »

rbistolfi:

I agree that Apple is well-positioned to to gain market share in desktops/laptops.  The only big obstacle I see is that so many people believe that they need MS Office.  There's Crossover Mac now ... maybe Apple will partner with Codeweavers.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2007, 05:34:15 am »

yes, office is a great hook, and I think it does a good job, but is very heavy in the latest releases. What can I say, I love Abiword  Roll Eyes. Anyway, is not a bad strategy. You make a shining thing (iPhone in this case) and you package a browser with it. So people use the browser too, and there you have a chance to convince them.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2007, 06:12:19 am »

I'm a big fan of Abiword also.  I also think that MS Office is weighed down by a lot of unnecessary features.  In a lot of businesses and other organizations you have to have it, and a lot of people need it at home because they do some of their work at home.  Still, I think that for most purposes many people would do fine with Open Office ... I can't say anything about KOffice since I haven't used it in a long time.  Anyway, I can see your point about Safari and the iPhone.  A lot of people out there using Windows are using Firefox, so they're already accustomed to using a browser that isn't Internet Explorer.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2007, 07:53:17 pm »

latex wins

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Vxt

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2007, 06:54:57 pm »

I have never heard if anyone used the X-window server for M.S.  products

Everyone says Linux  - neglecting  that's  the KERNEL
All else are add-ons to actually do anything

What an intersting glimpse into the cross -section of life:

"The devil is in the details"??
My lil devil is why any (addiction ?) interest in technical inners -

The personal  answer - my mirror rolls eyes & sez...
' Your DNA has progammed you to survival > learn & react
How to respond, be curious about implications of anything
Then the logic of it all '

'The fullfillment of 1st keeps you alive,  is practical - the second  Grin not so much -
only an irritating noise to anyone else '

Responces to justify to others - are nearly  all factual, maybe even impressive sounding
but who asked (me)?

Asides:  I'm shopping for less cheeky mirror

As a service Mgr once remarked -
"I asked what time it was, not how to build a clock and make it last forever

(almost missed the last meaning,  he never did say WHAT part lasted forever)

I didn't willfully try the "job-security trick" of making all seem so intricate......
Just got carried away in enthusiasms

Thankfully  it worked, -Mngtmnt  mostly said "Stop yapping, get back to work & fix it"
Just keep up  the quality so we all keep jobs"
(maybe my selective memory added that WE bit)

The one multi-tasking nobody can quite master - may be: Produce & talk at same time

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: