VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 06:43:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Hook up with Zenwalk  (Read 21363 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2007, 01:36:54 am »

Having just installed Zenwalk 4 (from which I'm now posting), I have to say that whilst it's a visually attractive distro with nice wallpaper and themes for XFce, I can't see that it offers anything that Vector doesn't.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2007, 07:56:35 am »

Having just installed Zenwalk 4 (from which I'm now posting), I have to say that whilst it's a visually attractive distro with nice wallpaper and themes for XFce, I can't see that it offers anything that Vector doesn't.
the better looking package that it is in .Visually appealing desktop,bootsplash,everything and their website too. Something that vector has to work on. Roll Eyes

Being more attractive in looks makes it a more tempting distro to the newbies.
First impressions are important.

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2007, 08:49:25 am »

Yes, I suppose they are but for me it's not a deal breaker because I know enough to be able to fiddle around with desktops, wallpaper etc. At the moment I'm back in Vector and posting from the FVWM Crystal window manager, which is pretty and works well.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think Vector has a slightly different niche from Zenwalk, a bit more like Arch in that it caters for people who have had prior Linux experience and are willing  to get their hands dirty installing and configuring new applications. It's also not as minimalist in that it offers a choice of applications for a given function; for example, whereas Zenwalk only offers Firefox AFAIK  for browsing, Vector has Firefox, Seamonkey, Dillo and Opera.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 08:56:11 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2007, 09:24:28 am »

ZW has "one app for each task" as a policy. I like it, but I think is good to have options if they are well organized on the menu. In the soho menu there is duplicated entrys of several apps, I guess this is probably something to review. I think the kde menu has too many categories and is a little messed. May be its me being a std fan  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:29:13 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2007, 09:27:06 am »

the better looking package that it is in .Visually appealing desktop,bootsplash,everything and their website too. Something that vector has to work on. Roll Eyes

You're the only one I've seen on the forum that keeps complaining about the looks Wink. IIRC most reviews were pretty positive about it too.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2007, 09:51:06 am »

If you peruse the Zenwalk forum, you will find many proponents view Zenwalk as a specialty Slackware for the original faithful, and not newbie friendly by design or intention. VL, in contrast, openly welcomes the newbie, with a unilateral contract, even. BTW, what happened to the "newbie friendly" campaign? We ought to kick that back in gear, reclaim Masta's artwork.

I have to confess, I cooked up this "Hook up with Zenwalk" thing as a ruse to tap the large membership of ZW. If those devotees just tried VL, I'm sure we could get a good number of converts. Increasing VL membership is really the hidden agenda. You ask why this thread--there you go.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:53:18 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2007, 09:57:33 am »

If those devotees just tried VL, I'm sure we could get a good number of converts.

You are very naughty  Grin
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2007, 07:14:28 pm »

VectorLinux looks good. Many new users who post here say that. Also, many reviews mention the attractiveness of VL.

In my opinion, "newbies" who would pass on Vector because they didn't think it was pretty enough are not the type of users VL is geared toward. Our distro appeals to users who want a no-nonsense, solid, stable operating system that allows but doesn't force eye candy on users.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2007, 07:27:47 pm »

I have to confess, I cooked up this "Hook up with Zenwalk" thing as a ruse to tap the large membership of ZW. If those devotees just tried VL, I'm sure we could get a good number of converts. Increasing VL membership is really the hidden agenda. You ask why this thread--there you go.

That rubs me the wrong way. I don't like to see the choice of Linux distro as a competition. I detest religious language like "converts." I run away from evangelists. It's bad enough hearing the constant "convert Windows users" plots. It's even more annoying when we're also trying to convert users of other distros.

One of the glories of Linux is the wide choice of distros one can use. There really is something for every taste. Yes, we'd like to see more Vector users, but I do feel that if we get the word out, those for whom VL is the right choice will find us.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2007, 08:04:30 pm »

I detest religious language like "converts." I run away from evangelists.
I'm with you  Grin

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2007, 12:14:36 am »

I agree with both of Granny's posts above.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 12:29:52 am »

You're the only one I've seen on the forum that keeps complaining about the looks Wink. IIRC most reviews were pretty positive about it too.
the website. The looks is good,but zen's is better.

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2007, 01:26:51 pm »

That rubs me the wrong way. I don't like to see the choice of Linux distro as a competition. I detest religious language like "converts." I run away from evangelists. It's bad enough hearing the constant "convert Windows users" plots. It's even more annoying when we're also trying to convert users of other distros.

See my signature; I agree. But there's a significant difference between most 'Linux advocacy' and evangelism proper. For instance, there was never a Linux equivalent of the Goa Inquisition.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2007, 09:40:08 pm »

ZW has "one app for each task" as a policy.
That's a big reason why I've never bothered to really look at ZW.  I'm seriously allergic to that approach.  Vector's choice of apps -- and the kmenu not being simplified -- are some of the many reasons I find it such a great distro. 

I feel very strongly that VL shouldn't abandon its current approach, or try to become more like ZW.

One of the glories of Linux is the wide choice of distros one can use. There really is something for every taste. Yes, we'd like to see more Vector users, but I do feel that if we get the word out, those for whom VL is the right choice will find us.
--GrannyGeek
(emphasis added)
Absolutely.  The part I put in bold really resonates with me. 

One of the dangers of too much of an evangelistic approach is that of sacrificing what makes a distro -- or software -- uniquely appealing to those who currently use it, in order to copy the approach of a "rival" and hopefully get users from them.  You end up losing the good that you've got, and having one less real choice.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
Toe

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2007, 03:15:07 am »

ZW has "one app for each task" as a policy.
That's a big reason why I've never bothered to really look at ZW.  I'm seriously allergic to that approach.  Vector's choice of apps -- and the kmenu not being simplified -- are some of the many reasons I find it such a great distro. 

Your mention of kmenu gives you away as a KDE user, so I would assume that you're also a VL SOHO user.  Great choice!  Smiley

But there was once a distinction in the VL world that I feel is being forgotten more and more these days.

Once upon a time there were two versions of VL, one big and full-featured with everything someone like you could want, the other lightweight and minimalist for those who want a fast system they can build out as they choose.  But as of 5.8, I really feel that the latter is being forgotten, and we've ended up with two of the former, varying only in their default desktops.

I mean, 5.8 Std comes with four different browsers.  Even ignoring the question of whether anyone actually wants four browsers on their system, you have to ask yourself if that even comes near being light & minimalist.

One of the glories of Linux is the wide choice of distros one can use. There really is something for every taste.

Absolutely.

But please, people.  Let's not forget that this is really the home of two distros, for two different tastes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: