VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:06:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Hook up with Zenwalk  (Read 22002 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2007, 04:25:37 am »

I agree, but I think the answer to the issue of bloat in Vector Standard is to have a "Vector Lite" with a smaller selection of software, and perhaps even a lightweight window manager like fluxbox as standard for installing on older computers.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2007, 07:31:56 am »

"Light" does not necessarily have to mean small install footprint.
I like VL because it "runs light", without a myriad of background processes.
I add a lot of apps, and my install consumes a lot of hard drive space, but that in itself does not slow down the system.

If you want to a small download, make it only the base system, plus slapt-get. Then the advanced user can take it from there.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2007, 09:35:38 am »

I dont think VL needs to simplify th kmenu, I think avoiding duplicated entrys is a must and a usability principle. I use SOHO to test it, I really am a std users. Kde is not my taste, I admit.
BTW, Who had the idea of a k in every word?

If you want to a small download, make it only the base system, plus slapt-get. Then the advanced user can take it from there.

That is nice

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2007, 04:09:46 pm »

ZW has "one app for each task" as a policy.
That's a big reason why I've never bothered to really look at ZW.  I'm seriously allergic to that approach.  Vector's choice of apps -- and the kmenu not being simplified -- are some of the many reasons I find it such a great distro. 

Your mention of kmenu gives you away as a KDE user, so I would assume that you're also a VL SOHO user.  Great choice!  Smiley

Close! My first experience of VL was a SOHO version, but I'm now running 5.8 standard gold, with KDE installed.  It runs so well, I haven't bothered to install 5.8 SOHO,  though I'm sure it's excellent.

Re things like the number of browsers present in the installer ... I see that as a good thing, as it gives people choice.  I forget what the browser options are (SM, FX, Opera, ?), but I just chose SeaMonkey: you don't have to install the ones you don't want.

The installer makes it easy to choose only what you want, and end up with a light install, while at the same time not presenting you with, for example, the tedious "menu" option in slack's install.

I'll have to admit, though, I haven't been thinking much in terms of the "2 distros" thing ... I do like the idea of being able easily to install as little as you wish initially, and then adding only what you need and want.  Hence perhaps my satisfaction with Standard + KDE.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2007, 06:29:09 am »

I have nothing against Zenwalk (it's just not for me), and I like Vector the way it is.  Sure there are things which could be improved both with the distro and the website, but I think what's here is a great distro supported by a great community. 

One of the really nice things about Linux (or GNU/Linux if you prefer) is that there are so many choices tailored to all kinds of tastes and needs.  You don't find that with Windows or OS X.  Vector (both Standard and SOHO) serves the VL community very well as it is.  I would recommend that Vector Linux keep going the way it has been going.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2007, 06:44:20 am »

Well, I support filling the CD up, but keeping it one CD nonetheless. That way, one can copy the CD repeatedly and distribute a functional system for people who may have slow/flaky/no Internet. Our users are everywhere after all.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Toe

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2007, 12:56:15 pm »

Well, I support filling the CD up, but keeping it one CD nonetheless. That way, one can copy the CD repeatedly and distribute a functional system for people who may have slow/flaky/no Internet. Our users are everywhere after all.

Your post seems to imply that everybody's got a buddy who 1: has a high-speed internet connection and CD burner, and 2: also has an interest in Linux.  I think that's rather over-optimistic, especially for less-developed parts of the world.

Plus, consider the popularity of distros like DSL and Puppy.  I think there's definitely a demand at the small-iso/mini-CD/flash drive/minimalist end of things.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:57:59 pm by Toe » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2007, 01:01:15 pm »

Well, nonetheless, I like the full-featured CD. It fills a different niche. At runtime, VL is still pretty damn slick, and that's what counts.

(The conditions of my Internet connection probably bias me.)

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2007, 03:03:42 pm »

Totally off-topic but related to the previous few posts:
I like the single, full CD release strategy that VL has going.  This was the single-most reason I tried VL.  I wanted to try some different distros but hated to waste bandwidth on 2/3/4/5/7 cd distros just to try them out.  One day I decided I'd only try single CD distros, and since I was already using slack I started with VL - Good choice I guess cause I'm still here Grin

I cannot remember which distro offers this feature but it seemed/seems pretty cool in concept:  It's a dymanically-created ISO release that contains only those items that the users selects to include in their ISO.  So if you just want a base system without X you can select that package only; or you can decide you want X as well and add that package; or you can decide you want it more server-based and leave off X but add some web, ftp, database, etc packages; etc... You get the idea - a "roll your own" approach to the ISO release.  Ironing out some of the bugs would probably be necessary but it could create a method were each user is using the common "base" while tailoring the rest to their intended purpose.  Options could be created to select the couple main releases we have (standard and soho) where a user just selects a 'SOHO' release and the required packages are autoselected.  This method probably wouldn't address the 64bit issue but some kind of solution could be created if/when needed.

Now I gotta find the distro because it intrigues me Grin
Toe

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2007, 08:44:34 pm »

Newtor, what you describe is pretty much exactly what I was advocating in this post with the jigdo/sligdo idea.

A similar option that would be nice is a Debian-style network install.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2007, 07:46:37 pm »

Toe's description certainly reminded me of Slax.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2007, 10:37:24 pm »

Yeah, except that SLAX comes in a variety of different versions and is easily extensible, being modular.

It's good but I don't know if Vector should compete head on with it.
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2007, 12:31:30 am »

If in doubt, punt.
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
VecPad

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2007, 08:17:26 am »

I can't even get Zenwalk to connect to the Internet. And be careful, in their forum there are some edgy characters.

As for me, no thank you Zenwalk.
Same problem for me, and I'm not even sure how they pulled this off! I've never encountered a distro that couldn't use an ethernet connection right away, LiveCD or otherwise. I tried very hard to troubleshoot the problem but got nowhere. Tough, because I really dig GTK apps, Xfce, and Zenwalk as a distro, but no internet is no internet.
Shingoshi

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2009, 01:57:41 pm »

Or perhaps form something like the DCC Alliance (formerly Debian Core Consortium) for the Slackware world?  Come up with a common base for things like lib versions, repo format (spread the slapt-get + tlz love?), compile flags, etc.

Not sure if you guys are aware of this or not, but Ultima Linux and Wolvix have recently agreed to colaborate with each other.  Perhaps that would be a good place to begin such a discussion?

I'm just now coming across this topic after being in a situation where I'm still looking for something more than what I've been using. What I've been using is mostly Slackware. But I have been looking for something substantially more potent. So here I find myself after searching for more information about the various Slackware-based distributions.

I'm trying to find people who are willing to work together and put parochial considerations aside. I have made contact with two other leaders with different projects. And as I have done with Vector, I have also introduced them to src2pkg (http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/amigolinux/download/src2pkg/src2pkg-1.9.7-noarch-17.tgz). Since this is the tool I use to build all of my packages, I suggest it to anyone looking to minimize the amount of work they have to do to maintain their projects. It seems now that one of these projects will now be using src2pkg from this point on.

After reading about Zenwalk, I decided to investigate it more thoroughly than I had in the past. I have built and installed their NetPKG along with the dependencies. After careful consideration last night and early this morning, I have determined that the dependency tracking ability of Zenwalk is something that I need in the continuation of my project. Being that I'm working to create a server system likely to be used in large installations (with native clustering and all server applications preconfigured), dependency tracking is of the highest concern to me. I can not have a situation where users are having to work, just to be able to work. The notion of Zenwalk that everything be done for the user during installation of their packages, and not having to configure things later, is very appealing to me. That doesn't mean I'm perfectly satisfied with all of Zenwalk's decisions. One of the most important points of contention for me is the removal of all debugging tools.

For my application, where my system is likely to be used by those who have to build private packages in the course of their work, debugging tools are a necessity, not an option. What I'm building is a Public Technology Library. Everything that professionals use in research environments will have to be standard and installed without user intervention. Where I define intervention as a distraction from their daily duties. I need industrial-strength tools with point and click accessibility. My users cannot be forced to go looking for what they need. It simply needs to be there and ready to use. Broken dependencies would deter that ability, and therefore cannot be allowed. And in the event of packages failing to work as anticipated, the tools must be there for them to make proper bug reports to the appropriate developers. This must be a professional system. Nothing less can be tolerated.

I will continue posting here as I read through the rest of the comments in this topic.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
Shingoshi

The immediate equalization of all knowledge among all beings.  Shingoshi Dao
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: