VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 05:01:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why my fan don't work... How to activate the fan?  (Read 3570 times)
LinuxNT

« on: June 12, 2007, 12:46:49 am »

Smiley Good morning!

I have a problem with my oldie laptop. I had installed VL 5.8 Gold Std in my laptop Toshiba Satellite 2060CDS to approach for a more time this equipment.

Three months ago, I had installed the same distro and the fan of my laptop works fine! No overheat!

Yesterday I had installed again VL but my laptop works fine during 15 minutes and only halt the system due an 90°C temperature in CPU.

How to solve this problem? The laptop is my diary work-tool!

Thanks in advance!
vvucic
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 05:39:10 am »

Hello,

First you have to check is your fan really broken.
If it is not broken, than youhave to check whether you installed power management, acpi and lm-sensors packages.
ACPI is possible to check  during setup of your comp after installation of packages.

Please check that and give us feedback on your potential problems.

best wishes,

veki
LinuxNT

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:03:14 am »

Smiley Good morning!

Thanks for you answer.

The fan don't fail. I has tested this with another one installation. I used Knoppix 5.10 and Ubuntu 7.04 (LiveCD Versions) and it works fine.

I think that this problem is from an error into configuration and think that exist a configuration to setup it too.

Suggest me several test to do it and feedback my results to community.

Thanks again!
vvucic
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 08:23:10 am »

OK, then, do you have lm-sensors and ACPI enabled in your laptop?

lm-sensors ispackage that you should find in your Gslapt.

What is exactly type of your computer?
regards,

veki
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 11:07:27 am »

I've been meaning to write a Toshiba laptop HOW-TO.  This is a great example of why.

VL does NOT recognize that you're running a Toshiba laptop the way some other distros (I.e.: Ubuntu Edgy, Mandriva) do.  You need to add the following lines to your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file to enable the necessary kernel modules at boot:

/sbin/modprobe toshiba
/sbin/modprobe toshiba_acpi
/sbin/modprobe backlight

The toshiba and toshiba_acpi modules are the really important ones.  Make sure you put this somewhere in rc.modules where it's unconditionally executed (not in an if stanza).  You can enable these modules in your current session by executing the modprobe commands in a terminal window as root.

I'd also recommend installing the toshutils and toshset packages, both located in our Extra repository.  toshutils has  a fan command that will work on your laptop, both for displaying your fan status and for forcing it on if you feel it's necessary.

Regards,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
holztrifta

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 01:16:59 am »

hi to all!

i have pretty much the same problem, but already at the installation process. when starting up, the fan runs as i expect him to, even with all the live-cd's i tested it's working well on my pentium II 400 with 196mb ram. after choosing the boot kernel (tried "linux" and "linux2") at the vl-5.8 gold standard installation procedure it stops and some message saying that the temperature is critical appears and the pc shuts down.
is there a chance to install it anyway?

regards,
holztrifta
vvucic
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 01:27:28 am »

Hello,

maybe some of developers will respond since obviously deamon that manage such issue is not loaded probably because of some reason does not recognize your controller/sensor for temp. properly.

please be patient and come to chat and ask question.

there is caht embedded in this forum and also on irc.freenode.net in channel #vectorlinux

good luck

veki
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:40:05 am »

I think you need to find out what kernel modules are needed for your computer, start from the console, insert the proper modules with the modprobe command and then re-start the install script. I am not an expert on those things, but if you post the exact model of your computer, I am sure some members of the forum could help you to find the modules and finish the install.
Good Luck!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:11:33 am »

I had this problem of power management turning off the fan during boot on a desktop computer. The workaround was to disable both ACPI and APM, then to manually enable APM by appending etc/lilo.conf

Try disabling ACPI in BIOS, see if the fan still cuts off. If fan still cuts off, then disable APM in BIOS also, if BIOS has setting for APM.

If that works, then you will probably have to append lilo.conf for shutdown issues.

Overview: To resolve this issue, you pass power management responsibilities (initialization?) from firmware to software. It's possible that the BIOS firmware conflicts (competes) with the kernel for control in this circumstance, causing power management to be abandoned by both during boot, ie., the fan stops.

Any luck, LinuxNT?

When you get around to editing lilo.conf, I'll give you more assistance.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:17:44 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 09:24:52 am »

"lm-sensors ispackage that you should find in your Gslapt."

It's not in my gslapt, even after reloading and checking "new" as well as
"instlalled," etc.

I tried different spellings, etc.  I also did a search for it on my computer.

Could it be that I need a different repository entry?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 09:56:36 am »

lm-sensors is in the testing repo:

http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/testing/base-apps/lm_sensors-2.10.3-i586-6vl58.tlz

To get it with slapt-get you need to add the repo to your /etc/slapt-getrc, just add this line at the end of the file, as root:

Code:
SOURCE=ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/testing/

And may be you want the extra repo too:

Code:
SOURCE=ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/extra/

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 10:23:52 am »

Thank  you very much.  I entered the repos and got lm-sensors installed.  Now I'm
fishing around trying to  find out how to use it.  Roll Eyes

I'll just do a search on my computer again and go from there.. also, "man lm-sensors"
I guess.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 10:39:00 am »

You probably don't want to leave the testing repository permanently enabled in your /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc file.  As the name implies these are packages that aren't fully tested yet and if you do an automated upgrade you'll likely get packages that will cause breakage.  Extra and patches as the ones you want to leave enabled.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 11:14:44 am »

You probably don't want to leave the testing repository permanently enabled in your /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc file.  As the name implies these are packages that aren't fully tested yet and if you do an automated upgrade you'll likely get packages that will cause breakage.  Extra and patches as the ones you want to leave enabled.

Thank you for that, caitlyn.  I'd seen that mentioned before in these forums;  I'll yank testing out of there.

My delema right now is getting suspend to work at the instant I close the lid on the laptop the way it did
with Vista.

[EDIT]  Also, I just discovered that my fan does not run in Vector at all!  I have acpi and lmsensors installed.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:08:34 am by jerrybasham » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: