VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 01:26:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: burning software for VL-6 Std  (Read 11680 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 12:21:50 pm »

Kill just GConf or even mess up its keys and you are screwed
Got to agree on that one.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 12:49:55 pm »

... KDE should continue to be the default for SOHO.

I agree. Too much effort on the part of our already stretched and very few developers would have to be put in to the exercise for minimal gain. IMHO KDE can actually be de-candified to make it look very similar to Gnome, whereas the opposite is not true of Gnome. But I know where you are coming from MOE-lnx - KDE can sometime's look a bit like a teenager's garish computer rather than a serious working tool as Gnome does.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

if you follow the posts about burners on the forum, there are some about installing k3b on std, looks like k3b is what people wants. I think a really good gui to burn cd, dvd, audio cd and video dvd is still missing in linux.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 01:10:52 pm »

if you follow the posts about burners on the forum, there are some about installing k3b on std, looks like k3b is what people wants. I think a really good gui to burn cd, dvd, audio cd and video dvd is still missing in linux.

IMO Graveman has a lot of potential. Fast, easy to use and the design is nice enough.
If only there were developers continuing work on it... Undecided

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 02:28:45 pm »

Isn't it true that business is settling upon GNOME as the default corporate desktop for Linux? I saw it in one of our newspapers in the UK.

I don't use either GNOME or KDE, I'm in Blackbox at the moment Smiley But I agree that a single registry sounds a bad idea.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 03:01:32 pm »

IMO Graveman has a lot of potential. Fast, easy to use and the design is nice enough.
If only there were developers continuing work on it... Undecided

I agree, graveman is nice, but still lack some functions, most of them for burning dvds. This features are important now a days, looks like the only great software fiting in a cd is VL. Everything is bigger now, if you want to backup a home dir, store some videos, etc, etc, you need good dvd features. My favourite tool for this is open source, but only runs in win: cdrtools frontend. ( http://cdrtfe.sourceforge.net/ ).
I wish graveman get the manpower to reach some of this features.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:26:21 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 01:30:25 am »

there are alot of good apps for gnome,but a good number of them have nasty dependencies such as mono.
Gnome does look nice,but kde while having more customisation features than it,is also alot lighter than gnome.

Gnome is the heaviest of them all.All the speed tests i've seen point to that. I know it from experience that it can get laggy and its less stable than kde is. Sad

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 06:08:19 pm »

Everything is bigger now, if you want to backup a home dir, store some videos, etc, etc, you need good dvd features.

I think an external hard drive or two is a better idea than burning DVDs for this stuff. You're still limited to 4 gigs for DVDs, whereas an external hard drive can hold 500 gigs or more. And you don't need any special software.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 05:42:14 pm »

FWIW, K3B can get away with just kdelibs on top of a stock 5.8 Standard install. We already have a subset of kdelibs for kdm in there, so hopefully it shouldn't be all that much of a problem.

I completely agree. Although I'm not sure about the performance of k3b on slower hardware, there are not many dependency issues and IMHO it is the greatest burning application for Linux.

I suppose the problem is that there might be quite a few different types of VL Standard users. Those that want the most minimal and lighter applications and might even replace xfce with something lighter, all the way to those that want some kde applications but stick to standard and xfce.

I suppose anything from xcdroast to k3b would be consistent with VL Standard goals.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 06:19:45 pm »

I still think xfburn would be an excellent choice since it is written specifically for Xfce 4.4.x.  I also need to check what the dependencies for gnomebaker are as it seems to be very close in look and feel to k3b but doesn't require a dcop server running.  If it doesn't need a lot of GNOMEish cruft not already installed with Standard it may be a good alternative.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 08:07:13 am »

Would it be feasible, legal, ethical to use Puppy's Grafburn on VL Std?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:04:03 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 09:00:20 am »

i agree about kde. It is better than gnome at speed, stability andfunctionality.

Gnome is just interesting to us, because we havent seen it from a while,thats all..

I dont like gnome because of:
*eats way too much ram
*gconf+many other processes running
+nautilus handles the desktop (icon launchers), which is just like explorer does for windows' desktop. Kill nautilus and other things dissapear.Nautilus is heavy and i oftenly have to kill it just to free some resources.
When i do,and this taken with gconf, i feel like im in windoze again.
*too many dependencies.Just waay too many, which makes gnome hard to upgrade and support.
*gnome is the heaviest gui environment on the linux scene.Its slower than all the other desktops.

I like gnome because:
*some of its aestetic features (such as the icon stretching (kde should also be able to do that.It supports svg icons,right?)
*its configurational tools are superb.I mean the network configuration tools.I think they are the best on linux scene.
*many really good applications use gnome libraries...

all and all,i think gnome devs should disert to enlightenment and make it more stable and usefull...with better and easier to navigate configuration tools. I think that enlightenment is very promising and interesting.It is what we should expect to be numero uno on the desktop scene some time in the future.
Not because of eye candy, but because of its speed and interesting approach to the gui.I really admire the work of the e-devs...its a pitty e is evolving sooo slowly.

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 09:08:02 am »

Would it be feasible, legal, ethical to use Puppy's Grafburn on VL Std?
Yes, and from what I understand of what I read here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=561484
It would be supported by the author.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 11:14:57 am »

We ought to change from KDE to GNOME for SOHO IMO..

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 12:31:11 pm »

The simplicity and interface of Grafburn remind me of Brasero. Although originally developed for the Grafpup fork, Grafburn is now standard issue on Puppy Linux.*

This thread at Puppy Linux Discussion Forum, now 10 pages in size, chronicles the entire development of Grafburn by Nathan Fisher and collaborators:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1634379199&t=14533

TinyME and TinyFlux use Grafburn. (Grafburn replaces XFBurn on TinyFlux.)
http://www.mypclinuxos.com/category/tinyme/

*Grafburn first included with Puppy 2.14
http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=14
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 07:42:10 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: