VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 04:54:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO  (Read 2343 times)
V3©to®

« on: June 14, 2007, 06:39:06 am »

I am beginner, tried almost every distrowatch distro, so don't take my ramblings to seriously  Smiley.Respect to Vector Linux (another Canadian distro,cheaper than Xandros,and based on legendary Slack).Finaly one good and simple distro with all features I like (old school Ascii art and latest stuff Smiley,but I still need some after install configuration to do (menu.lst listed all my ntfs partitons on boot).It need to be more polished in terms of packages.I mean,it's KDE based distro,and KDE have all round programs for SOHO and more.Considering this, I tried Fedora 7 KDE live, and this is what I like in Fedora considering KDE.It has Koffice,Kontact,Kopete,Ktorrent,Konversasion,K3b so I don't need OOffice,Gaim,Xchat,Gnomebaker,Bittorrent etc.I'm trying to say, if I use KDE desktop enviroment, it's better to have programs from KDE than some alternative programs (if I want it, I will install Gnome based programs and GTk stuff btw.).Another good thing in Fedora 7 is on the fly changing of sound cards (if somebody have 2 sound cards like me).And thats all, I dont't like Fedora and Red Hat,specially Mandriva Smiley.What else, Vector Linux is realy fast, installation is simple and humorous, it recognise core 2 duo and choose right i686 SMP kernel.Unlike in simplyMepis 6.5 (which on restart,shutdown hard disk completely (heard click sound Shocked),don't know how is this healthy for disk).I will like to see automount of ntfs partitions with their labels, like in Sidux (xaos).PCLinuxOS 2007 is nice,but it's slow, and it's not stable, just like more unstable Mandriva,not to mention slowness with Synaptic.They say Arch is fast, I don't know,maybe.Gentoo (lost it's compass after 2006 imho,maybe Sabayon it's the cause :)is also fast they say (don't want to bother with all that emerge stuff).Frugalware is also like fast,but need better package choosing method in installation.I don't think that Arch is difficult, but for every distro is important good documentation and some user learning and experience (and I like to see comment examples in some config files (e.g. menu.lst) for orientation, how some distros like Slackware have it.I don't know why somebody say that Slackware text based installation is difficult, it's much better,simpler than Yast or Anaconda, and also much more information you get in installation procedure than in Debian text based installation.Zenwalk and Dreamlinux are nice distros,but don't like so much wannabe OsX Dreamlinux theme.You did nice distro, much better than girlie themed KateOS, ARK H2O,SAM linux (bad keyboard character localization support,don't know how is that in Granular linux),latest Yoper won't work,childish Myah OS is ok but need customization after install, and other less known small distros.Another good point is that you're using Xorg 6.9.0 so I can install Radeon X1xxx drivers without problem but can't find Catalyst control center in menu,maybe is only avaliable with Xorg 7.1?.With Xorg larger than 7.1 ATI users have problems, maybe in the end of the year, AMD will do something about that (give me AIGLX or else...I will go the way it's meant to be played  Wink,you are close to Ati hquarters i think, go there and punch some Ati dudes responsible fo linux drivers Smiley..Debian wrEtch still got terrible Gnome Nautilus open folder like Windows 95 exploder issue(I think that openSUSE also have that,I know that Mandriva 2007 have it),no thanks, give me XFCE and Thunar.Konqueror is still king of file managers.Imho I will learn more about linux with Slackware than with Gentoo or Arch,how some reviewers like to say for those two.Tried Slackware 11,but I need to compile kernel according my system,need manualy activate sound card,modules, to much stuff need'ed to be done.Vector is not better Slackware than Slackware, just like Fedora is not better Red Hat or Ubuntu better Debian, or Mepis better Kubuntu.Kubuntu 7.04 has Stand by option (suspend to ram,and it works),but KDE have save session by default and maybe that's not some important issue.Vector didn't recognise and mount my copy controlled audio cd.Nice that it recognise my external firewire hard disc (but it didn't mount broken partition,only healthy partition is mounted,some distros failed in that task),in PCLOS I've needed to edit /modeprobe.preload for mounting firewire disc. All in all Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO, thumbs up, keep up the good work.

P.S. If I were M.Shuffleword, I will give you some bling bling for developing  Grin
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:04:05 am by V3©to® » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 06:54:39 am »

Whoa! That was definitely a hard read, no paragraphs, ended up out of breath... Wink. I stuck to it however, because it was also a very interesting read... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:51:34 am »

V3: interesting expose. Thanks for your comments, but I'm with Joe - lack of paragraphs and overly long sentences makes it very difficult to read your post.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
V3©to®

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:30:37 am »

Whoa! That was definitely a hard read, no paragraphs, ended up out of breath... Wink. I stuck to it however, because it was also a very interesting read... Grin

V3: interesting expose. Thanks for your comments, but I'm with Joe - lack of paragraphs and overly long sentences makes it very difficult to read your post.

Thanx for your patience in reading, and your comments  Grin I'm aware of my terrible style of writing in this post (F- Grin),but I'm not a journalist and I was trying to say all my frustrations which I was getting with some of GNU/Linux distributions on the road,and btw. English is not my mother language,so, take that into consideration  Grin. I hope that you get the point in all of that.Propably many of users and beginners are experiencing same problems like me.I was trying to point some of situations which I encounter on many distros as beginner.I don't expect some simplicity in future versions of Vector in favor of stability.Let The Code be with you. Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: