VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 10:18:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NetGear WN111 v2 Wireless Help  (Read 1633 times)
unohu62

« on: June 02, 2010, 02:06:40 pm »

I can't seem to get my NetGear WN111 v2 wireless n USB wireless adapter to work in VL 6.0 Light.I tried using the directions in the Wireless Howto.  Doing a lsusb gave me ID  0846:9001 NetGear, Inc and I googled it to find it listed as module ar9170usb. I got it working in antiX and archbang by adding the firmware ar9170.fw to the  /lib/firmware directory and it was recognized by wicd. Doesn't seem to work here in VL.

cat /etc/modprobe.conf doesn't list a wlan0 and can't seem to get modprobe to recognize the ar9170usb module. Do I need a newer kernel? Or what other files do I need to edit?

Anyone else using this device?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:05:12 pm »

Until someone with actual experience with this device can give you better advice, this may be worth reading:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9170
unohu62

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »

Thankx for replying nightflier. That's where I initially dl'ed the firmware from. Is there another place other than /lib/firmware where I can place the firmware in VL?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:11:26 pm »

I saw in another thread where you've upgraded kernels before, but apparently that was on VL Standard -- or at least not Light, as VASM CC was mentioned.

9k, apparently including usb, is in 2.6.31.8. At least that's what locate ar9170 gives me.

I'm using this kernel, but not this particular Atheros. Since switching kernels, shutdown can't power down the laptop unless wicd has wlan0 associated with an AP, but my VIA is known to be flaky with several power issues; may be kernel, mainboard, ath, or wicd. Dunno.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: