VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Some Annoying Problems...  (Read 2230 times)

vtel57

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • The Cabin In the Woods - a friendly general topic forum.
Some Annoying Problems...
« on: June 08, 2007, 03:47:24 pm »

Hello, folks...

I seem to be experiencing some bugaboos with Vector and KDE. Any help would be appreciated.

1) I cannot move the applets around on the kicker panel or the child panel. There are no "drag handles". Right clicking on most of the applets just gives me the applet configuration menus. Panels are unlocked.

2) Font sizes on the Firefox and Thunderbird menus (not in the webpage area) are huge, 16 pts or bigger. I cannot find any KDE setting that affects them. These are the only windows that display this behavior. Konqueror and other windows are fine.

3) I can't set up my repos with the proper sources. The current ones are not working. I was able to pick an nluug server for Slackware 11, but that's it. Can't select any Vector servers. None will refresh properly. Note: I checked on this forum earlier and found some updated repo info. I'll try to use that info to fix this problem.

4) At one point, I checked my system with SysGuard and it was using up 99% of my 2Gig RAM. That's not right. A reboot got it back down to 230Meg or so.

I'm beginning to think I have a corrupted install here. Any input? Ideas? Help!

Thanks in advance,

~Eric
Logged

Registered Linux User #423757

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

nightflier

  • Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • *****
  • Posts: 4083
Re: Some Annoying Problems...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 07:54:18 pm »

1) Try right-clicking panel, select configure panel > Appearance > Advanced options > Applet handles: select visible of fade out.

4) While sysguard and top show me using over 90% memory, htop reports less than 25%. I don't notice any slowdown, so I suspect htop is closer.
Logged

vtel57

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • The Cabin In the Woods - a friendly general topic forum.
Re: Some Annoying Problems...
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 08:16:33 pm »

Thanks, nightflier.

I'm back in Slack at the moment. When I boot back into Vector, I'll check out your suggestions. :)
Logged

Registered Linux User #423757

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

lagagnon

  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • *****
  • Posts: 1922
Re: Some Annoying Problems...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:23:28 pm »

2) Font sizes on the Firefox and Thunderbird menus (not in the webpage area) are huge, 16 pts or bigger.

Try the info in the third post in this thread:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2352.0
Logged
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

vtel57

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • The Cabin In the Woods - a friendly general topic forum.
Re: Some Annoying Problems...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 12:33:29 am »

Thank you, lagagnon. I'll check these suggestions out later this weekend. I'll let you know what happens. I just finished custom compiling a kernel on Zenwalk so I could get rid of the d*mned libata driver and have IDE support once again. I'm tired now. ;)

G'night...

~Eric
Logged

Registered Linux User #423757

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

vtel57

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • The Cabin In the Woods - a friendly general topic forum.
Re: Some Annoying Problems...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 11:56:25 am »

Man! I must have been frustrated and half asleep when I posted these problems the other night. What a difference two days away makes. I fixed the applet problem and the font problem in about 30 seconds when I booted into Vector today.

Thanks for the help, folks!

I had gone round and round that night with these two problems. I had the drag handles hiding on the applets... DUH! And I just needed to adjust the GTK fonts rather than the KDE Theme fonts to fix the font problem.

I think the SysGuard resource usage was just a fluke. I haven't seen it again.

As far as the repos problem... I'm off to tackle that one now. I'm sure it's something simple, too.

Regards,

~Eric
Logged

Registered Linux User #423757

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***