VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 05:29:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Package Request  (Read 3390 times)
DblMtn

« on: June 14, 2007, 04:29:55 pm »

I may be way off base here, but I don't find "Skype" listed in the repository.  Does someone need to package it, or is it as simple as downloading from the skype webpage?  If one downloads it from the webpage, for which distro?  I don't see Vector listed.
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 05:44:13 pm »

We technically can't package Skype, as it's proprietary software. If you download the Skype software from their site, get either the linux-static version or the linux-dynamic version. The major difference is that the static version has qt-4.2.1 linked into it, whereas the dynamic version requires qt-4.2.1 or later to be on your box. Fortunately there is a qt-4.3.0 package in the repository. However, if you don't plan on doing any compiling of programs from source, I would get the linux-static version.

Once you download the tarball, extract it using the tar command like so:

Code:
tar xjvf skype-1.0.4.74-static.tar.bz2

Go into the directory to which skype was extracted and read the README file for instructions on installing it.

HTH. Post again if you have further questions.

John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 08:43:21 am »

We technically can't package Skype, as it's proprietary software. If you download the Skype software from their site, get either the linux-static version or the linux-dynamic version. The major difference is that the static version has qt-4.2.1 linked into it, whereas the dynamic version requires qt-4.2.1 or later to be on your box. Fortunately there is a qt-4.3.0 package in the repository. However, if you don't plan on doing any compiling of programs from source, I would get the linux-static version.

Once you download the tarball, extract it using the tar command like so:

Code:
tar xjvf skype-1.0.4.74-static.tar.bz2

Go into the directory to which skype was extracted and read the README file for instructions on installing it.

HTH. Post again if you have further questions.

John
the new skype also needs the newer version of something that i believe vector doesnt have.
When i try to run the static qt version i get:

Code:
shadow:$ skype
 skype: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.1' not found (required by skype)
 skype: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.4' not found (required by skype)
static version doesnt work.Havent tried dynamic.
and yes,i copied the files where needed.
(and in the package there wasnt any /emoticones folder)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:51:29 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 09:30:40 am »

I could whip up a package using more up-to-date libraries from other distros like Fedora (the static skype seems to work fine there).
But Skype's license doesn't allow us to host the package in our repos, unless they give us permission for it... Undecided

mr_volvo

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:42:45 am »

I was getting the same errors with the static package as blurymind.

Using these instructions:
http://forum.skype.com/lofiversion/index.php/t89124.html

I managed to get it working on my system. Alas, I can't test the actual speaking to people online as my internet is currently at genuine 1998 speeds.
Hope this helps some people.

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 11:10:50 pm »

static version doesnt work.Havent tried dynamic.
and yes,i copied the files where needed.
(and in the package there wasnt any /emoticones folder)

Maybe not a problem anymore, as this is an old topic, but in order to start skype I not only need to copy those lib files, but also start it with:
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/skype-beta /opt/skype-beta/skype &

This is in 5.8 , with Skype 2.0 Beta.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:44:45 pm »

We technically can't package Skype, as it's proprietary software.

Would it be legal to make a 'fake' skype package that simply installs it from install.sh?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 04:43:34 am »

I've wondered that Hanu.  I can't see any reason it wouldn't be legal.  I think packaging the installation file, and fill the package with stubs (touch file file1 file2) so slapt-get has files to uninstall later.  Then have the doinst.sh launch the installer.

I know the fella's that teach you how to install MS core fonts can't actually distribute the fonts, but they give you the tools/scripts to install and extract them from .cab files.  I'd think if that wasn't legal MS wouldn't hesitate to shake things up a bit.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 08:49:22 am »

well,i think it will be leagal to have an install script which downloads skype and whats needed and places it where needed.

Btw,the new beta skype 2 for linux has webcam support. Smiley

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 09:21:55 am »

well,i think it will be leagal to have an install script which downloads skype and whats needed and places it where needed.

Good, because I made such a dummy package and sent it to easuter. Awaiting his upload. Smiley

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 01:40:33 am »

Good, because I made such a dummy package and sent it to easuter. Awaiting his upload. Smiley
sweet  Grin
 I will open it to examine the script. Maybe i can learn something from you,hanu. This procedure can be applied for other packages,that are not gpl.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 09:55:58 am »

I will open it to examine the script. Maybe i can learn something from you,hanu. This procedure can be applied for other packages,that are not gpl.

It's a pain in the ass. Basically, you have to create a 'skeleton' of empty files in the package (so that installpkg has the right list in case you want to delete it), then download the archive into a safe temporary directory, then copy relevant parts where they belong, overwriting the empty files, then finally get rid of the temp dir. I can guide you through the process if you want.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: