VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 06:18:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: News to Vector  (Read 1102 times)
Uncle Jean

« on: June 15, 2007, 01:16:58 pm »

All,

A few days ago, I installed Vector and I like it much.  A few questions though:

1.  For a reason I don't know(!), I downloaded SOHO RC3.   So, I do this:

slapt-get --dist-upgrade

It doesn't upgrade to the following release.   Sorry, this is my first distro based on             Slackware...  Shocked

2.  I've tried other distros and everytime, a window appears when I plug my camera.  But on Vector, nothing.  How can I see my photos ?  Someone told me to install digikam which is already there but what after Huh  I can't find any wonderful solution.

Thanks,
UJ 
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 05:35:05 am »

So far as I know, the dist-upgrade option shouldn't be used as it will probably break some things (even if it worked).
I guess you should download the final version and install that one.

As for the camera, try gtkam (from the command line or the Graphics menu) and try adding a camera.
It didn't work for me until I copied this file from the fixes repository http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/fixes/30-libgphoto2.rules and overwrote it in /etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules (which I think is necessary for some cameras to be recognized)

Also, it might help if you post some outputs after you plug in the camera (I'm guessing dmesg, /var/log/messages, and lsusb, though I'm very much a newbie).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: