VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 01:20:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob needs help - "no signal" after install with ati fglrx on ATI X1600  (Read 1674 times)
lostinpurdy

« on: June 15, 2007, 06:27:43 pm »

Well, as the title says, I'm a noob and I can't get X running at all. I have an ATI Xpress 1600 in my system and vector detects it during configuration and gives me choices of fglrx, ati and radeon. Ati and radeon end up in errors. When testing X with fglrx, I end up with a blank screen ("no signal" bsod screen) I did edit xorg.conf and replaced "fglrx" with "vesa" and come up with an error that tells me it can't find vesa on my system (shouldn't this be on there, standard wise?) What am I doing wrong? I want Vector wo WORK!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:09:50 pm »

please post the output of the following commands to this thread:
Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
lsmod
lspci

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 05:56:58 pm »

I did edit xorg.conf and replaced "fglrx" with "vesa" and come up with an error that tells me it can't find vesa on my system (shouldn't this be on there, standard wise?) What am I doing wrong? I want Vector wo WORK!!

In /etc/X11 there should be an xorg.conf-vesa file. Copy your present xorg.conf file to another name like xorg.conf_old, copy xorg.conf-vesa to xorg.conf-vesa_original, delete xorg.conf, and rename xorg.conf-vesa to xorg.conf. Do this in text mode without X running. Then restart your system and see if you have better luck.

All the copying and renaming is so that you have pristine copies of the original files and have a way to recover from any missteps merely by renaming files back to their original names.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: