VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 05:27:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluxbox 1.0RC 3 please!  (Read 3881 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: June 16, 2007, 07:18:47 pm »

If anyone has the time to dedicate to packaging the latest version of Fluxbox I would appreciate it. There is a serious problem with the current package: it puts all in /usr/X11R6/ but startfluxbox wants stuff in /usr/local. Also the EN (English) files are missing in the present package.

I have tried to build fluxbox myself but had all sorts of trouble, so perhaps the more experienced packagers could try? Thanks....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:36:40 am »

Sure thing, I've also made a custom fluxbox menu for VL 5.8 based on the one you made for VL 5.1.
Does the package need to have any custom theme?..

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:01:59 pm »

I don't think a custom VL Fluxbox theme is necessary unless someone is up to the task (I don't hav ethe time at the moment). I believe the standard fluxbox source comes with a choice of about 12 themes anyways. What would be great to have though - is a custom Fluxbox menu. But that is a lot of work. And since folks might be using it on Standard or SOHO we would really need two distinct menus. I already have worked on a Fluxbox menu for SOHO 5.1 - I could fix that and also redo one for Standard and maybe just upload them somewhere where folks can download them if needed. To pre-package them might not work as we won't know if it is installed under Standard or SOHO.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:08:43 pm »

What would be great to have though - is a custom Fluxbox menu.

I already have a custom menu for 5.8 Standard ready  Grin
I could make an extra one for SOHO, but SOHO has a LOT more apps to fill in...

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:11:15 pm »

Do you have icons in the menu or just text? Did you use menumaker for that or do it by hand?

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 02:18:56 pm »

Do you have icons in the menu or just text? Did you use menumaker for that or do it by hand?

I made it by hand (based on the one you made for 5.1). No icons thus far though...

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 07:46:03 am »

I'm still trying to figure out how the 5.1 fluxbox package (0.9.14) was able to get a ~/.fluxbox directory working if one didn't exist the first time it started....

Any suggestions are welcome!

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 03:52:29 pm »

Maybe we just had a /etc/skel/.fluxbox directory already set up in the distro so any creation of a new user would see the directory copied to /home/newuser ? That doesn't help a package for a distro that doesn't ahve one though!

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 04:00:15 pm »

Here's what we did in install.sh of the vlmetafix package to upgrade SOHO 5.1.1 to 5.1.2, as it needed a change applied to all existing user home dirs, as well as skel:
Code:
users=`ls /home | grep -v backupsys | grep -v ftp`
cp /etc/skel/.local/share/applications/KDE\ Konsole\ Terminal.desktop /root/.local/share/applications/KDE\ Konsole\ Terminal.desktop
for i in $users; do
MENUFILE=/home/$i/.local/share/applications/KDE\ Konsole\ Terminal.desktop
if [ -f "$MENUFILE" ]; then
echo copy fixed .desktop file:
                cp /etc/skel/.local/share/applications/KDE\ Konsole\ Terminal.desktop /home/$i/.local/share/applications/KDE\ Konsole\ Terminal.desktop
fi
done
HTH...

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 05:32:47 am »

Thanks Joe1962, I've made a script based on your example and it works.  Smiley

lagagnon, I'm still trying to get fluxbox to start via KDM...using startfluxbox now works from the commandline, but when selecting it from the KDM session it fails to start ***argh the frustration!

JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 09:22:32 am »

easuter,

Is there a file called xinitrc.fluxbox in /etc/X11/xinit? If not, one needs to go in there.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 09:18:48 am »

I finally have a working package that also generates separate menus for Standard and SOHO.
However, when using it in SOHO, the background does not set to full-screen despite using fbsetbg with the -f flag.

As soon as I get this bug ironed out, I'll upload the package. Smiley

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 11:39:14 am »

It turns out that Esetroot is not installed in SOHO (in /usr/X11R6/bin or anywhere else), so thats why fbsetbg couldn't set the background properly.

An Esetroot binary is included in the package to make sure backgrounds get set correctly in SOHO.
So here it is:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3591.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: