VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 07:07:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: NTFS Hard disks Unidentified  (Read 3671 times)
sa3atsky

« on: June 17, 2007, 05:47:04 pm »

Hi, Ive installed Vector Linux to run as a storage server.. Vector is not identifying any of the NTFS partitions formatted hence rendering it useless... When I try installing the NTFS device driver from the package manager it tells me download failed although my network is configured perfectly..
Could this be because of my GRUB config? (http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3378.0) coz it wouldnt configure so I was booting through the install cd by typing: "linux root=dev/sdb1 ro"..  Please help
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:23:33 pm by sa3atsky » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »

Your post is not clear. Is it that you formated your disks with
NTFS and Vector will not install to that disk, or you formatted
storage disks in NTFS and Vector can not access those disks.
Maybe you formatted NTFS partitions and are trying to use them?

Is this the same disk?

The storage server why NTFS? For a storage server you want
to use the native OS format, not a foreign format.

Bigpaws
sa3atsky

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 06:55:30 pm »

Sorry, I have 3 hard disks
One has partition for Vector linux and for the Swap file and the rest is NTFS empty space.. The other two are also NTFS empty space
The OS only identifies the Vector Linux partition and none of the rest.

I chose NTFS because it is the most reliable and I only want to run files off the PC and I wont run files on it
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 09:32:45 pm »

you need to edit your /etc/fstab file with the info posted in this FAQ: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3127.0

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
sa3atsky

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 09:55:33 pm »

lagagnon - amazing reply Smiley youve been great help, worked flawlessly
sa3atsky

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 10:29:50 pm »

OH wait a second, no it didnt..
First of all it previews the files sometimes and doesnt later on I cant access the hard disks.... It all seems too buggy.. When I try to access the subfolders inside it tells me they dont exist.. I dont know whats the deal, am I doing anything wrong?

This is how my fstab is now configured:
Code:
# The Linux partitions
/dev/sdb1 / reiserfs  noatime  0  1
/dev/sdb2 /mnt/win ntfs-3g defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/win ntfs-3g defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /mnt/win ntfs-3g defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec 0 0
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 10:59:25 pm by sa3atsky » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 12:00:43 am »

If your system is not going to use anything else than VL it doesn't make sense to use NTFS. NTFS might be the most secure in Windows, I'm pretty sure you're much better off using some Linux filesystem. I've used ReiserFS for quite a while, had some nasty hard lockups (my own bad), but the filesystem never got serious enough damage to loose files.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 01:12:06 am »

Even though there is NTFS support I would not really
call it stable. There are those that may argue the otherwise.

When it comes to keeping data is it worth the chance?

I found your other post. Apparently you have formatted the
partitions as NTFS to be used as samba shares.

There are many of us that will show you the direction if you ask.

Maybe a post of "I would like to setup a server to be a file server
what would you recommend". If the my guess is right and you are
going to use NTFS shares on Linux then expect failures in I/O and
read write errors.

This mgiht be a good place to start:

http://www.networkcomputing.com/unixworld/tutorial/013/013.part1.html

Bigpaws
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:25:13 am by bigpaws » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 06:07:35 am »

Your fstab file was edited incorrectly. You are attempting to mount different partitions to the same mount point when they are already in use. First you mount sdb2 to /mnt/win, then you attempt to mount sda1 to the same mountpoint and then sdc1.

I don't think you can do that. You will need a different mount point (e.g. /mnt/win1) for each partition.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
sa3atsky

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 08:37:49 am »

The reason I got VectorLinux is ive read it has native NTFS support. But it turns out its so buggy even Ubuntu has better support from what I've experienced.. It's no problem though, I like the OS so much I'm willing to convert unless ofcourse theres a risk of losing data.

Even though there is NTFS support I would not really
call it stable. There are those that may argue the otherwise.

When it comes to keeping data is it worth the chance?

I found your other post. Apparently you have formatted the
partitions as NTFS to be used as samba shares.

There are many of us that will show you the direction if you ask.

Maybe a post of "I would like to setup a server to be a file server
what would you recommend". If the my guess is right and you are
going to use NTFS shares on Linux then expect failures in I/O and
read write errors.

This mgiht be a good place to start:

http://www.networkcomputing.com/unixworld/tutorial/013/013.part1.html

Bigpaws

I've read this quite a while ago. The problem is I already have files in these hard disks.. Tell me, whats the best filesystem to convert to? and how do I do that now without any risk of losing valuable data?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 08:40:15 am by sa3atsky » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 09:29:19 am »

I believe that the support for NTFS writing/reading is satisfactory in VL and not as buggy as may be indicated - more likely your problems arise from improper configuration/mounting of drive/partitions.  I'm sure you could get your drives, formatted with NTFS, mounted and configured such that they'll work as you'd like them to.  However, unless these drives/partitions will be used to house a windows system (locally) then I cannot understand the reasoning.  You'll have better support using a native linux filesystem such as ReiserFS, which will provide you with journaling (data-loss protection) and better drive space usage - not to mention greatly increased performance due to the native aspect of the filesystem.

If your plan is a networked file server for these drives then NTFS will make no difference to the remote systems accessing the data - Windows will not "see" NTFS across the network, nor will it see ReiserFS.  It will interact with the data via a network file system such as nfs or smb.

Then again, maybe I've missed something Huh
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 09:42:47 am »

The problem is I already have files in these hard disks.. Tell me, whats the best filesystem to convert to? and how do I do that now without any risk of losing valuable data?

hmm, may be I am wrong, but I think there is no way to change the filesystem without lose the data, you will need to backup those files. There is a nice recent post of GrannyGeek about how to buckup a hole disk, could be useful. You can use one disk to keep all the data, do the job with the others disks, and then copy the files from the last disk, and finally re-format the backup disk.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 09:53:17 am »

.. It's no problem though, I like the OS so much I'm willing to convert unless ofcourse theres a risk of losing data.
The problem is I already have files in these hard disks.. Tell me, whats the best filesystem to convert to? and how do I do that now without any risk of losing valuable data?
You ask a couple of simple questions that have easy answers for someone who has already made up their mind about what to do. In your case you have not made up your mind so it becomes difficult and anxiety provoking. The first question (best FS) is largely a matter of circumstance and opinion. reiserFS has been suggested and indeed I would agree that it is a very (very) good choice when using VL. There are several good choices in VL. XFS might be a better choice if you are not planning to boot from the partition that it is used on and you are often moving very large files (>1Gb). As for your second question ext3 has a long and very stable history but is not as efficient as reiserFS or XFS. To "convert" is not possible. I only know of converting from ext2 to ext3 (and in the future ext4). Thus you would need to backup data on one disk, format it with your chosen FS, move data to that disk and then format the other with your chosen FS.

Using NTFS in linux is not well established yet and performance of such a FS is probably severely lacking at this time. Many, myself included have not had problems but the two were not designed for each other.
HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 10:10:51 am »

NTFS-3G works VERY well in VL, I use it every day and have been for a long time. Lagagnon hit the nail on the head when he said you were mounting 3 partitions on the same mountpoint. You need a different mountpoint for each one, maybe /mnt/win1, /mnt/win2, /mnt/win3. Just create those 3 directories and edit fstab accordingly, then reboot.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 11:21:57 am »

NTFS-3G works VERY well in VL, I use it every day and have been for a long time..,
I can confirm that comment myself as well.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: