VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Xfce WM borders gone  (Read 4497 times)

paul8032

Xfce WM borders gone
« on: June 18, 2007, 10:37:32 am »

Hi All,

Vector Std 5.8, xfce environment.

A weird thing has happened; the window borders have disappeared. Apps will load happily but they are borderless, ie menu intact but no title bar, no min/resize/quit buttons etc. As well as the resize/minimize problems of course I can't move windows.

Going to Settings...Window Manager settings yields the warning box (borderless of course); "These settings cannot work with your current window manager (unknown)."

This has only happened under my login - my children's xfce logins seem OK.

I looked in a file /home/paul/.xfce/xfwm-session, but don't really know what I'm looking for. However there is an entry;
[WM_NAME]  Question
- (sorry cut & paste seems inactive too, otherwise I'd post the whole file).

I ran ps -ax in a terminal, & can find entries for xfce4-session, xfdesktop, xfce4-panel and others, but not xfwm.

I note the children don't seem to have a /home/<login>/.xfce directory, so wondered if I could delete mine & start again?

Sorry if this is all irrelevant, just trying to give some info on what I have tried/looked at. Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Paul
Wakefield UK

stoichyu

• Packager
  • Vectorite
Re: Xfce WM borders gone
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 02:03:04 am »

You can delete your ~/.config folder and copy the one from /etc/skel that should give you the default desktop back.
There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836

paul8032

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:59:43 pm »

Hi stiochyu,

Thanks for your interest. Sadly this didn't work. I feel that xfce is failing to start xfwm4, but I don't know where the init file would be to check that.

Paul

stoichyu

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 03:08:56 am »

Well, you can just create a new user and reconfigure xfce and copy your files to the new home directory. :D
There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836