VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 01:15:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xfce WM borders gone  (Read 4232 times)
paul8032

« on: June 18, 2007, 09:37:32 am »

Hi All,

Vector Std 5.8, xfce environment.

A weird thing has happened; the window borders have disappeared. Apps will load happily but they are borderless, ie menu intact but no title bar, no min/resize/quit buttons etc. As well as the resize/minimize problems of course I can't move windows.

Going to Settings...Window Manager settings yields the warning box (borderless of course); "These settings cannot work with your current window manager (unknown)."

This has only happened under my login - my children's xfce logins seem OK.

I looked in a file /home/paul/.xfce/xfwm-session, but don't really know what I'm looking for. However there is an entry;
[WM_NAME]  Question
- (sorry cut & paste seems inactive too, otherwise I'd post the whole file).

I ran ps -ax in a terminal, & can find entries for xfce4-session, xfdesktop, xfce4-panel and others, but not xfwm.

I note the children don't seem to have a /home/<login>/.xfce directory, so wondered if I could delete mine & start again?

Sorry if this is all irrelevant, just trying to give some info on what I have tried/looked at. Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Paul
Wakefield UK
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:03:04 am »

You can delete your ~/.config folder and copy the one from /etc/skel that should give you the default desktop back.

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
paul8032

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:59:43 am »

Hi stiochyu,

Thanks for your interest. Sadly this didn't work. I feel that xfce is failing to start xfwm4, but I don't know where the init file would be to check that.

Paul
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 02:08:56 am »

Well, you can just create a new user and reconfigure xfce and copy your files to the new home directory. Cheesy

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: