VectorLinux
August 28, 2014, 07:13:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slackware Packages On Vector  (Read 2683 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: June 18, 2007, 12:05:01 pm »

Hello, Vectorites,

I was wondering to what extent i can use Slackware packages on Vector. How do i know if anything i get from linuxpackges.net will work on 5.8? Thanks.

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:43:27 pm »

My personal experience is that packages which are built for Slackware 11 will work on Vector 5.8.  I've never had a problem with anything from linuxpackages.net.  I have also installed packages from www.slacky.eu (formerly slacky.it), an Italian Slackware site, without difficulty.  Of course if you have a problem with a package you can always remove it with removepkg or Gslapt.  In addition to that, Vector accepts requests for packages.  See this thread:  http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1362.0.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 01:24:39 pm »

Technically, everything *should (cough) * work

AFAIK, we are completely compattible with slack, so it should

vvucic
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:29:57 am »

I have downloaded several times Slack 11 packages and libraries and they work flawlessly.
Only, pay attention to dpendencies.
For example, some Slack package may be built for library of one version but slack comes with a bit higher version.  THus, pay a bit attention to that and enerything will work.

Regards,

veki

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:32:38 am »

You can also add slack repos to slapt-getrc AFAIK, and it will even take care of the deps, that way you dont have to be surfing around looking for slack packages, just do a slapt-get --search and boom

Just dont ever do a slapt-get --dist-upgrade with slack repos enabled... that's a guaranteed screw up

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:06:15 am »

Thanks for your answers. I wonder, though ( and please excuse my ignorance ), but why even bother with creating packages for Vector?

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:17:21 am »

Thanks for your answers. I wonder, though ( and please excuse my ignorance ), but why even bother with creating packages for Vector?

Although VL is a slack-based and compattible distro, it's still a distro of it's own, and as such, I for one, dont think it'd be a good idea to depend on slack to that extent.

IMO No distro is complete without a good package management system and of course good package repos.
Another thing, Slack tends to fall behind on new software, where as we have newer versions on some things.
Some things may be slightly different in VL than they are in Slackware.

And yet another one, we have LZMA compression for our package, Slack is sticking to the good old .tgz's

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: