VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 09:35:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: installing thunderbird  (Read 6621 times)
joec

« on: June 18, 2007, 02:40:24 pm »

how do i install thunderbird. ?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:43:24 pm »

Assuming it's not already installed, you could try 'slapt-get --install thunderbird' from terminal as root, or you could use GSlapt and find it in the repository.
LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 03:52:13 pm »

If you want the latest Thunderbird 2.0...or any T-bird that we don't have packaged:

1. Download the source tarball from mozilla.org.
2. Open a terminal.
3. Become root...type: "su" + password.
4. Type: "cd /opt/"
5. Type: "tar xzvf /folder/location/name_of_tbird_file.tar.gz"
6. Type: "exit"
7. Type: "/opt/thunderbird/thunderbird"

If you follow those steps (leave the quotes out), you should have T-bird running.

Once you get that far, ask about setting up /opt/*** in your PATH and/or adding a launcher in your desktop environment.

Hope that helps!

LLL

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
joec

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 04:58:12 pm »

thank you all
joec

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 07:46:36 am »

If you want the latest Thunderbird 2.0...or any T-bird that we don't have packaged:

Once you get that far, ask about setting up /opt/*** in your PATH and/or adding a launcher in your desktop environment.

Hope that helps!

LLL

Didn't seem to have tbird in the repositories so i downloade from Mozilla.org. LLL's instructions worked. i created a desktop link to run it bbut it doesn't show up in the applications list. is this because it is in the  /opt location?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 08:05:42 am »

I think it has more to do with a missing .desktop file that should have been placed in /usr/share/applications.  You can create your own by simply using one of those as a template (for instance seamonkey-mail.desktop) and modify the lines for thunderbird.
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=SeaMonkey Mail
Comment=email client
Categories=Application;Network;
Exec=seamonkey -mail
Icon=seamonkey-mail
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
GenericName=Internet suite
joec

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:50:33 am »

yes indeed - problem solved.
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 09:37:10 am »

Another alternative - which seems easier - is to download the latest Slackware package if it's more up to date. Once it's downloaded just right-click and select install. No hassles, and menu entries added automatically. As I understand it Slackware packages don't have dependency checking, but it's not a problem for many installs. I just upgraded Thunderbird 1.5 to 2.004 this way.
GoingDown

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 03:00:37 am »

Yet another option is to install the slackware package from linuxpackages.net.  This creates the menu link and works a treat in VL:

http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=10381

VL 5.8 SOHO
mhbell

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 01:39:57 pm »

Assuming it's not already installed, you could try 'slapt-get --install thunderbird' from terminal as root, or you could use GSlapt and find it in the repository.
I used "slapt-get --install thunderbird" without the quotes as root, and it could not find thunderbird until I did "slapt-get --update" as root then it installed and worked fine.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: