VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 07:07:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The End Of Copyright  (Read 5320 times)
metvas
Vectorite

« on: June 19, 2007, 11:31:51 am »

I have always maintained that, "That which is unusual eventually becomes usual"
Remembering when I started a no red meat diet in the early 80's some of my friends took great delight in ordering veal, ( they knew I would cringe at that) while we were out for dinner. Now they ask for recipes and advice. Poetic justice.
A great read, with lots of good ideas.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:46:22 am »

You gotta love basmati.
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:30:15 pm »

You bet, brown is best.
Darrell

incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:25:42 pm »

Good read!

Heh, I love brown basmati too. 

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:26:53 pm »

Brown basmati may be better nutritionally, but white basmati is the ultimate olfactory and taste experience. The fragrance is 50% of the enjoyment of basmati. I usually buy a variety grown in Punjab.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 09:30:52 pm »

End of Copyright? I hightly doubt it. Copyright laws will continue to have an influence on how we operate, and how websites such as this continue to do business.

Here's a hint. Unless a site's membership gets a serious clue on how copyright infringement can criple  any site, that very same membership will be the downfall of that very same site.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:54:35 pm »

Hi:
Can you please expand on your post about copyright, maybe if you can keep it simple compare to copyleft. This would be a good post to have.
Thxs
Regards
Darrell
ps. ever tried wild rice, we fortunately get a variety that is harvested by hand from the Lakeshores. The aboriginal folks harvest from a canoe while beating the rice plants with their paddles it falls in the canoe. Enough falls outside the canoe to make next years crop.

joec

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 08:45:51 am »

rice cruelty should not be condoned. is brown sugar better than white sugar? in  need to know  -- now -- my oatmeal is getting cold.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:57:51 am »

Just 550 years ago this year, a guy named Johann Gutenberg figured out how to make large quantities of metal type in a hurry. He didn’t invent printing—the Chinese had been doing that with wooden blocks for centuries—but he did find a way to make it fast and efficient. Gutenberg changed the world and helped to bring on the Renaissance.

Incidentally, an alphabet is better suited for that task than a logographic system like Chinese. Only a few dozen characters (rather than a few thousand) characters to render, and much easier to manage as a result.

Remembering when I started a no red meat diet in the early 80's some of my friends took great delight in ordering veal, ( they knew I would cringe at that) while we were out for dinner. Now they ask for recipes and advice. Poetic justice.

Well, meat simulations are better than ever. Sometimes I want genuine beef jerky though.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 09:01:12 am »

Well, meat simulations are better than ever. Sometimes I want genuine beef jerky though.

I've gotta have yummy barnyard animals.  Sorry  Wink
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:19:53 am »

You gotta love basmati.

Chettinadu Kozhi > *

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 09:21:13 am »

Hindi words always sound like italian for me, like this:

- Hey bambini! Have you seen Sergio Basmati today?

Grin

PS: I like the true cows too. sorry met, I cant live without them, but I try to eat not very much, if that helps  Wink

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 09:40:51 am »

Hindi words always sound like italian for me, like this:

Consider that Hindi is essentially a vulgar melting-pot language common to an area whose formal languages are Sanskrit and Pali. Latin and Greek share much in common with Sanskrit, and Italian is just lazy Latin, so there's your connection. Try checking a Hindi dictionary and you'll be amazed to see all the cognates.

But they call Telugu the 'Italian of teh East' because of its (superficial) phonetic resemblance to the same.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 10:17:23 am »

Italian is just lazy Latin, so there's your connection

Indeed, Italian build words from some cases and declinations from latin. Is very interesting. In Spanish just the verbs keeps the desinense structure.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 11:12:09 pm »

Here is a good popular book I keep on the bedstand:

The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language
http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521559677

at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Encyclopedia-Language-David-Crystal/dp/0521559677
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: