VectorLinux
October 19, 2014, 08:09:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem compiling a new kernel  (Read 12875 times)
gijii

« on: June 19, 2007, 12:48:30 pm »

Hi all,

I am trying to compile a new custom kernel on my SOHO 5.8. I am using the vanilla sources 2.6.21.5.
I just want to tailor it on my machine and get rid of unneeded stuff.
I used as a configuration file the .config in the source folder of the standard kernel provided with Soho 5.8.
As a test I changed just the processor type and I compiled using make, make modules_install and copying the bzImage and system.map files in the /boot directory.
Then lilo -t and lilo -v after modifying the /etc/lilo.conf.
I have always used this procedure on Slackware without any problems. On my Soho 5.8 the kernel does not boot.
It appears the message "unconmpressing linux" and then, in the lower part of the screen two lines of numbers I do not understand (not similar to any message from the system) appear.
Does Vectorlinux have some setting or tuning that needs a different procedure to compile a kernel from vanilla sources?

Thanks for any suggestion.

gijii

Vectorlinux Soho 5.8, Kernel 2.6.21-ck2. AMD Athlon XP 2.4, 1 GB ram, 320 Gb HD
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:09:43 pm »

The problem itself seems like something that may be more related to lilo, but the timing (i.e. after you've selected which system to boot) is a bit odd. Huh
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 09:17:16 pm »

I don't know of anything extra you need to do ... I've been compiling kernels using the source from the kernel.org and patches from Kolivas, doing it about the same way: copying over my last config, doing make oldconfig, make menuconfig, make bzImage, etc ...

Is it possible that the old config had some things relative to vl kernel patches (aufs, squashfs and lzma) that resulted in borkage when compiling a kernel without those patches?   Huh

Just took a peek in the kernel build file for the VL 2.6.21.1 kernel ... saw that squashfs is built outside the kernel, and the script removes it from .config before configuring

There was a how-to on compiling kernels here, but I think it's one of the topics which disappeared.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
gijii

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:35:26 pm »

Thanks for your replies.
I was checking this morning and I came to the same conclusion: may be the patches can broke the kernel compilation?
I looked over the forum and I did not find any how to for kernel compiling for Vectorlinux.
I was willing to do the same: get rid of unnecessary modules, a little tuning of the kernel for my hardware and to apply the Con Kolivas patch. But I would want to keep all the patches already in the standard kernel.

incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:20:00 am »

Yeah ... I think at one time I had some problems possibly related to that, but my memory is really vague about it.  It could be that the .config is setting up the kernel to use some of the vl patches at boottime, hence the panic in a kernel compiled without them.  (I'm just guessing at this. Huh )

You might want to download the vl kernel source and hack the buildscript to apply Con Kolivas' patches too ... you'll have to hack it to let you do some extra configuration, too.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
gijii

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:18:33 am »

Ok, let's face this the hard way.
Since I do want to compile the latest kernel 2.6.21.5 is there a how to explaining what patches I have to apply to a vanilla kernel to have a vectorlinux kernel (bootsplash, squashfs, lzma, and realtime?). Where do I find these patches? I guess these patches can be applied in the usual way to patch a kernel.
Then I would apply also the Con Kolivas patch.

Thanks for any suggestion

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 08:47:08 am »

is there a how to explaining what patches I have to apply to a vanilla kernel to have a vectorlinux kernel (bootsplash, squashfs, lzma, and realtime?).
There used to be one, but it's been lost when the forum was "cleaned up".

Where do I find these patches? I guess these patches can be applied in the usual way to patch a kernel.
Then I would apply also the Con Kolivas patch.

Thanks for any suggestion

I think all the patches are in /usr/src/linux if you have the kernelsources for 5.8 SOHO installed  (lzma doesn't need a kernel patch AFAIK) :

bootsplash-3.1.6-2.6.15-jtm.diff
rt-lsm-0.8.7-kernel.patch
ksize.patch
lhash.patch
squashfs3.2-patch

I think patching is done normally (I always do it the wrong way the first 2 times and my kernel is already patched, so I won't advice how to do it Cheesy).

If I had to guess I'd say the problem you encountered first had to do with missing bootsplash support.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:00:07 am »

You shouldnt have any problem compiling a vanilla kernel on VL.
If you have the default kernel sources for SOHO installed you should have a dir /usr/src/build-kernel-XX.X/ that has all the patches and a kernel build script inside it.

the last kernel I have built with this script was 2.6.21.3 you can find it here http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-current/packages/kernel/kernel-src-2.6.21.3-i586-1vl58.tlz
it was built with a newer GCC so you will have problems with Nvidia drivers if you used it as is on SOHO 5.8

HTH,
Uelsk8s
gijii

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 02:10:32 am »

Hi all

I made a step back and I was able to recompile the standard kernel.
As a test I just modified the processor type to fit it to my hardware.
Everything works.
I was not able to apply the Con Kolivas patch.
I got some exception.
Did anybody be able to apply this patch to the 2.6.20.3 kernel? I picked the patch for 2.6.20 kernel series, so I should have done everything ok.
I will try to post the output message of the patching procedure.

gijii

incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 03:18:21 am »

I'd guess that the problems arose from applying the 2.6.20 ck patch to the 2.6.20.3 source, instead of the 2.6.20 source.  In my experience, sometimes there's enough change to cause parts of the patch not to take.  (If it's just the Makefile, you can check and make sure it's nothing more than the kernel extraversion.)

Post the output, just to make sure.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 08:34:34 am »

I've nearly got all the kernel packages ready that are patched with Con Kolivas' patchset. Expect them in the repo by tomorrow at the latest.

gijii

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 11:55:03 pm »

Good! What are the names of the packages?
A link would help Wink

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 06:27:43 am »

Good! What are the names of the packages?
A link would help Wink

And the sources too!  Grin  I want to produce a patched kernel that actually works this time!

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 01:12:14 am »

I'm uploading the packages today, with the source and build instructions Wink

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 02:14:58 pm »

Wish we had more smilies to choose from.....   Could use a thumbs up one or something!

Anyhow...  You rock!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: