VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 02:12:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem compiling a new kernel  (Read 12038 times)
gijii

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 12:09:34 am »

Where can these packages be downloaded from?

Vectorlinux Soho 5.8, Kernel 2.6.21-ck2. AMD Athlon XP 2.4, 1 GB ram, 320 Gb HD
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 09:22:17 am »

He annouced it over at the " VL package news and Updates" section. http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3584.0

The sources are already patched and ready to go.  Although I'd love to see a build script, or a list of the commands used to build the bugger. 

Ahem!  LOL!

I imagine it's a matter of:

installing the two patches
configuring
make modules
make bzimage
make modules_install

I wanna know!!  LOL
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 03:33:55 pm »

He annouced it over at the " VL package news and Updates" section. http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3584.0

The sources are already patched and ready to go.  Although I'd love to see a build script, or a list of the commands used to build the bugger. 

Ahem!  LOL!

I imagine it's a matter of:

installing the two patches
configuring
make modules
make bzimage
make modules_install

I wanna know!!  LOL

Yeah, the configure info is in the README file. I don't think the kernel build process can be scripted as simply as other apps, what with needing to run one of the configure options (make oldconfig, make menuconfig, make gconfig or make xconfig) in order to make the new configurations "stick".

gijii

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 06:09:39 am »

Thanks a lot!
I downloaded and installed the new patched kernel without any problem.
It would be nice to have a how to about patching the kernel from vanilla to vectorlinux/con kolivas patched kernel.
Anyway, thanks again.

Vectorlinux Soho 5.8, Kernel 2.6.21-ck2. AMD Athlon XP 2.4, 1 GB ram, 320 Gb HD
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 08:24:21 am »

I have to agree on this, a HOW TO on upgrading the kernel (for newbies that is) would be nice...

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 08:27:23 am »

Yes, we really should encourage newbies to mess with their kernels and b0rk their systems.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
apock627

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 05:01:13 am »

As a relative newbie I respectfully disagree (sort of. I guess it depends on what you mean by newbie). There should be plenty of warnings about consequences, and yes there will be more posts (like mine) arising from silly mistakes. But
a. Sometimes there is no choice, even for relative newbies. There was no way I could have got my wireless working in 5.8 without being able to do it. I was originally forced into it in the 2.2 kernel days to get my winmodem working, and back then it took a lot of research to get the gospel truth on how to recompile. There's a lot of misinformation out there in other forums, of bigger distros especially. The TLDP stuff is admirable and thank heavens for the people who can be bothered to do it, but it is usually pretty out of date.

b. Being comfortable with recompiling is really not that hard, and requires surprisingly little other background knowledge if you follow some basic safeguards. I am proof. Sure I'm mucking around with things I don't really understand, but in the end I have always solved the problem and learnt something along the way. My whole experience with linux is mucking around with things I don't understand.

c. IMHO without being able to do it you miss out on two of the greatest strengths of linux, being able to adapt the kernel to your machine, and staying up to date, unlike Windows users (like me) who wait about 5 years each time and then have to pay again for the privilege. And it's a great way to learn about the system.

Admittedly I fiddle with things more than I should. And linux is just a hobby for me, so if I b0rk my linux system it's just another pleasantly futile task to get it working again, in my own time. There are plenty of others like me here I am sure.

I have only learnt to re-compile from kernel tarballs, and don't really understand how to do things from the Vector package, or what extras/Vector-specific things are available, (like, what is bootsplash) so I for one would welcome a Vector kernel howto. I'm not sure what I could do to help but could provide some newbie feedback and support for newer newbies than me.

Cheers
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 12:07:08 pm »

Yes, we really should encourage newbies to mess with their kernels and b0rk their systems.

It's useful because you learn a lot about Linux and computers in general when you do so.

Sometimes the labor is the reward...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 04:39:45 pm »

It's useful because you learn a lot about Linux and computers in general when you do so.

Sometimes the labor is the reward...

Yes.  Just a couple of thoughts from another relative noob ... I think the main caveat would be to not replace/delete the stock VL kernel; it works, and a custom compile may not.

While I think compiling your own kernel is definitely worth it if you want to, VL already has great performance with the standard kernels; with Easuter's latest ck-patched kernel package, it's bound to be even better.

But, for those who want to get their hands dirty, "rolling your own" is very rewarding, and worth the time spent configuring and researching. Sometimes it's the journey as much as the destination.

My VL 5.8 standard install has this: /usr/doc/VLHelpCenter/vlfaq/kernel2.6.x.htm (compiling from kernel.org sources, not with VL patches)

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 04:20:52 am »

I'm comfortable compiling my own kernel, but when compiling a kernel that is compatible with VL it's kind of a crap shoot as I don't know all the options that are required for VL to run properly.  Also some of the patches that add functuality  are a bit of a mystery for me as well.  To further add to my confusion.  I've studied the various kernel sources in the repo and find that no two are built alike.  In fact some don't even work with this box.

Installing the sources of a known working kernel and adjusting the configure for my processor or my limited hardware is a simple matter.  But I've had to use the badram patch not long ago.  The patch wouldn't work for this kernel.  So I thought I'd grab a vanilla kernel and apply all the VL patches and the badram patch as well.  I got it running finally, but with much confusion and a few terrifying boot ups.  lol

I do miss our missing forum posts.  There is a lot of info's that I know I saw before, but can't access when I need it.  This topic was covered very well in those missing posts.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 05:05:15 am »

I got it running finally, but with much confusion and a few terrifying boot ups.  lol

Good! How the badram patch is working?, no more segmentation faults? I used it once in a friend box, I have an old pentium I to fix and probably I will be using badram too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 05:07:49 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 06:23:01 am »

I got it running finally, but with much confusion and a few terrifying boot ups.  lol

Good! How the badram patch is working?, no more segmentation faults? I used it once in a friend box, I have an old pentium I to fix and probably I will be using badram too.

It worked like a charm!!  Figuring out the code to enter into lilo was overwhelming for me, Thankfully memtest86 has a handy feature that will figure it out and give you the exact lilo entry.

I meant to thank you my friend, but I got sidetracked.  Not unusual for me.  Your hint saved me a lot of money that I don't have.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 09:03:45 am »

No problem exeter, I am glad it works for you. That info will be useful. We could write a howto about this.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 09:58:04 am »

I do miss our missing forum posts.  There is a lot of info's that I know I saw before, but can't access when I need it.  This topic was covered very well in those missing posts.

Hopefully that should be fixed soon (yeah, its been said a lot  Roll Eyes)
But we've been working on fixing the corrupted database, and that has been accomplished, so it *shouldn't* be long now.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 11:23:46 am »

No problem exeter, I am glad it works for you. That info will be useful. We could write a howto about this.

It would be a bonus the VL kernel was already patched with the badram patch.  It just simply builds one extra module.  And doesn't affect the performance of the kernel if it's not invoked by the user.  Since many of us don't have a lot of money, or come from countries were computer parts are so expensive, I think it would be a asset to have the kernel badram ready.  After all, there is a reason why so many of us are running older hardware.

Hopefully that should be fixed soon (yeah, its been said a lot  Roll Eyes)
But we've been working on fixing the corrupted database, and that has been accomplished, so it *shouldn't* be long now.

This is great news easuter!  I've been fighting with myself not to post about it in the other thread.  I know people are on it, and they probably are up to their ears in other projects as well.  It's just a bummer when I know something has been covered and I need to reread that info.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: