VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: News to Vector  (Read 1323 times)

Uncle Jean

News to Vector
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:16:58 pm »

All,

A few days ago, I installed Vector and I like it much.  A few questions though:

1.  For a reason I don't know(!), I downloaded SOHO RC3.   So, I do this:

slapt-get --dist-upgrade

It doesn't upgrade to the following release.   Sorry, this is my first distro based on             Slackware...  :o

2.  I've tried other distros and everytime, a window appears when I plug my camera.  But on Vector, nothing.  How can I see my photos ?  Someone told me to install digikam which is already there but what after ???  I can't find any wonderful solution.

Thanks,
UJ 

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: News to Vector
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:35:05 am »

So far as I know, the dist-upgrade option shouldn't be used as it will probably break some things (even if it worked).
I guess you should download the final version and install that one.

As for the camera, try gtkam (from the command line or the Graphics menu) and try adding a camera.
It didn't work for me until I copied this file from the fixes repository http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/fixes/30-libgphoto2.rules and overwrote it in /etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules (which I think is necessary for some cameras to be recognized)

Also, it might help if you post some outputs after you plug in the camera (I'm guessing dmesg, /var/log/messages, and lsusb, though I'm very much a newbie).