VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 04:28:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've just killed my desktop...  (Read 2635 times)
Tarkus

« on: June 19, 2007, 07:15:06 pm »

Hello, it's me again, I promise not to bother too much Tongue, but this problem is REALLY annoying... I've killed my desktop, when I start Vector Linux there's NOTHING on it... I used "ctrl + alt + esc", of course I didn't imagine the result  Undecided... I've looked for an answer, I don't want to be one of those annoying newbies heh, but obviously I didn't find it. Thanks for any help Cheesy!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:46:09 pm »

what is the problem actually?
pls be more specific and provide us more detail....
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:57:43 pm »

Yup. That's right. Using "xkill", which is launched with CtrlAltEsc will kill your desktop if you click with your left mouse button afte that 3 fingered salute. You are meant to use it to kill windows, but it does a good job with the xfce desktop also  Wink .

Next time you use it make sure your mouse cursor is within the window of the app you want to kill.

To remedy the solution Ctrl-Alt-Del should log you out and then you just log in again.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Tarkus

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:17:10 pm »

Yup. That's right. Using "xkill", which is launched with CtrlAltEsc will kill your desktop if you click with your left mouse button afte that 3 fingered salute. You are meant to use it to kill windows, but it does a good job with the xfce desktop also  Wink .

Next time you use it make sure your mouse cursor is within the window of the app you want to kill.

To remedy the solution Ctrl-Alt-Del should log you out and then you just log in again.

I loged out and loged in, but it remains the same! Of course that I tried rebooting my PC too...
Any more ideas  Huh?
Tarkus

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:19:58 pm »

what is the problem actually?
pls be more specific and provide us more detail....

The problem is that when I enter Vector Linux, after loggin in, my desktop is EMPTY and also the left-clicking is disabled!! So I can't do anything at all...
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:12:25 am »

can you see you desktop in root?
what version of VL you are using?

for VL5.8Gold, I believe there is an option to allow xfce to manage your desktop....
the default should be yes, but if you accidently turn it off then you may try to enable it.....
but me forgot where to enable it lol....
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 04:44:05 am »

Okay, a few questions:

Are you logging in from the command line (using startx, startxfce4), or a display manager (KDM, XDM, GDM)?

If you're using a display manager, have you tried choosing a different session, such as TWM (which will appear black but in which you can use the left mouse button at least to open an xterm)?

If you're using the command line, have you tried startx, startxfce4, etc.?

The answers to these questions might help narrow down the problem.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 05:52:28 am »

hmm, the problem is you "saved the session" when log out, I think you can restore your user settings to default (SKEL) from VASM, run VASM and an "skel" option should be there, I am not at my vl box, so I cant provide more detiled procedure, but I think that will solve your problem, may be one of our experts could confirm that...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 06:10:52 am »

start a KDM session, after that you want to run some commands to get your desktop
It will look ugly, but you can play around, save the session and try again

So start up with a KDM session
If you see nothing but a blank screen click (or right-click) and you should see a menu drop down

Select Xterm to get a terminal and then

xfpanel (the taskbar)
xfdesktop (the desktop with icons)
xfsession (the tession manager)

The names may not be exactly accurate, but use your tab key in the terminal, and you should get it

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 06:20:57 am »

I have the following commands on my system:

xfce4-panel
xfce4-session

There is nothing corresponding to xfdesktop, but I think xfce4-session might take care of that.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 06:25:23 am »

No.. I'm pretty sure there is a desktop command... I used it before when my icons dissapeared once.

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 07:52:12 am »

alt+f12
xfdesktop

geez

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 07:55:44 am »

Sorry M0E, blurymind, of course you guys are right about xfdesktop.  I don't know how I missed it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: