VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:43:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Program for .ps Files  (Read 1781 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: June 20, 2007, 07:10:37 pm »

VL-5.8-Gold

Dumb question, which program is there in VL for viewing .ps files?
I took gv from slackware. Is this the route?

Regards
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 08:34:08 pm »

Hy,
as far as I remember Image Magic can display postscript as well.
Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:35:51 am »

you could also do a ps2pdf to create a pdf from the postscript file
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 04:59:47 pm »

Thanks!

Evince is the name of the game found in VL /extras. Might need gnome to be installed which I have.

Regards
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 08:50:17 pm »

I'm on my SOHO box but isn't "gs" supplied with VL5.8 Standard? It is a great poscript viewer from what I remember and you sure don't need all those ridiculous Gnome libraries....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 11:07:44 pm »

I'm on my SOHO box but isn't "gs" supplied with VL5.8 Standard? It is a great poscript viewer from what I remember and you sure don't need all those ridiculous Gnome libraries....

I thought so that there must be a postscript viewer in VL. Now I tried gs and it will not open anything. And yes evince needed quit a few libraries. So I gues I stick it out with "gv" which I am used to since my days with RedHat 5.2.

Regards
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 12:04:28 am by Pita » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 02:40:38 pm »

gs is of course the backend for all Ghostscript viewers. The problem is, it's not much more usable as a viewing application than GNU libc is useful as a shell: there's no way to visit an arbitrary page, print, or do much else beyond a linear page by page view of the Postscript or PDF file.

There are a few different choices for viewing Postscript on Vector. There's KGhostview if you don't mind KDE. gv from Slackware is perfectly viable; it's fast, renders PS and PDF files beautifully, but the only catch is that the user interface is more along the lines of traditional Unix GUI programs. A little confusing at start and the file dialog is a PITA. But there are neat shortcuts here and there.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: